× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transfer box oil seal leak?

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2013 22:28 - 14 Apr 2013 22:37 #68717 by GuardianAngel
Transfer box oil seal leak? was created by GuardianAngel
I was under the J today and noticed a feint line of oil going across the under side of the floor pan right above where the prop bolts onto the transfer box output.

Looking closer I noticed a small amount of oil on the flange (or whatever the correct term is) which is being flung around when driving. It's only a small amount though. Hopefully you can make it out on the photo below.

m.flickr.com/photos/93589760@N06/8650361234/

So my question is, is this a failed oil seal? Would that allow oil to run through the output shaft and out where the prop bolts on?

If it is, do I need to take out the transfer box or can I change the seal in situ?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 22:37 by GuardianAngel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 22:53 - 14 Apr 2013 22:56 #68719 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Transfer box oil seal leak?

GuardianAngel wrote:
So my question is, is this a failed oil seal? Would that allow oil to run through the output shaft and out where the prop bolts on?

If it is, do I need to take out the transfer box or can I change the seal in situ?

The oil seal is on the outside of the flange, any leak would dribble out between the aluminium housing and the rusty part of the flange to the left of where your oil is.

You may find that the nut inside the flange has come undone and the flange is loose on the splined shaft, or the oil is somehow coming from the CV joint to the right.

Edit: Pictures don't work yet :(

Just undo the 4 bolts and lower the propshaft down and see what happens

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 22:56 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2013 06:53 #68723 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Transfer box oil seal leak?
I just changed my 2nd oil seal in the exact same place. Not bothered yet to replace the shaft, although I'm beginning to wonder if there's a reason Suzuki sells them together (seal + shaft) as some other members mentioned.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2013 11:13 - 15 Apr 2013 11:14 #68731 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Transfer box oil seal leak?
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 11:14 by renard38.

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2013 12:09 #68733 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Transfer box oil seal leak?
Thanks all for the responses.

Renard cheers for the photos, I get the idea of how to do it now. What size is the locking nut? I have a limited set of tools so will probably have to go and buy a socket :pinch:

More
15 Apr 2013 20:59 #68769 by Johnniehec
Great pictures Renard!

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2013 18:50 - 13 May 2013 19:10 #70633 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Transfer box oil seal leak?
First of all, I didn't realise Renard had posted a video on this thread as well, cheers!

Anyway I got around to looking at this tonight. When I unbolted the prop, a whole load of oil dropped out (I did drain the TB first ;) ), and noticed that the locking nut was very loose.

I am making a wild guess that is not right? This would explain why there are traces of oil under the car where the centrifugal force is forcing oil out of the gap where the prop bolts the the flange.

Also, does anybody know the correct torque setting for the locking nut? (FOUND IT: It's 94ft/lbs)
Last edit: 13 May 2013 19:10 by GuardianAngel. Reason: More info

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds