BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?

More
11 Oct 2012 22:52 #50051 by kirkynut

GuardianAngel wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote: My list of codes from the workshop manual says for this code "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold"

However, I had a similar code came on if I drove at the same revs for some time and I cleared it and turned the light off, passed an MOT, then the following year, having cleared it a few more times throughout the year it failed the MOT and needed a new CAT to get through.

So I would take MarkyP2000's advice and take it to a friendly MOT station and ask them to put it on their emmissions machine, having turned the light out. If the emmissions are ok, carry on as normal and see what happens.

I don't think putting any cleaning liquid in the fuel will help much really.

I would also advise avoiding Supermarket petrol, especially the big one beggining with T. This kept throwing the equivalent code up on my Mrs BMW 325. The lambda's were tested and are fine, the CAT's apparently never go on those cars and are extremely expensive. It also passed an MOT with very low emmissions. So i suggested to her only buying proper petrol (the Shell 1/2 a mile from the big Supermarket beginning with T price matches them) and it has not come on since!

As a consequence, none of our cars get Supermarket petrol put in them.

As has been said above - do not go to Kwik Fit - you'll find out you need a whole new exhaust, new brake discs and pads, front and rear - despite the fact you have drums on the back, new lambda sensors and windcreen wipers.

Kirkynut

Just before I went on my trip this weekend I put in fuel from T! The light came on during my motorway run, so it was during a long run at highish revs. Interesting parallel.

I will reset the code and get it tested at KwikFit and just ignore their BS about what "needs" to be replaced.

Cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry missed this in my last reply as I was typing it when you posted.

It is interesting about that brand of petrol - when my light kept coming on I had been using their fuel pretty much soley but did not see the link and with the new cat the problem went away. The issue with the Beemer was causing me stress though - fortunately we have the support of an ex BMW man who really knows his stuff - hence no new cats were fitted as he refused to do so knowing they were not the issue but could not put his finger on what might be wrong. I have updated him about the fuel issue so he knows if it rears it's head again with another customer of his.

As long as you know to ignore some of the Kwik Fit advice when you know about cars, all is good.

I once got stung by another well known franchise like them who I believe used a syringe or something to squirt brake fluid under the dust seals of my rear wheel cylinders and got me for new rear cylinders and shoes. I was young and had no knowledge then put was put right by my normal mechanic who had checked them not long before and was annoyed when I told him of the work they had done.

Now I have knowlege about cars I hear the same from others and wince. Proving it when they have disposed of the parts is impossible though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 23:03 #50053 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
My Dad was a mechanic by trade for years so have picked a lot up from him. Also the KF place has a big window in the reception out into the workshop so I will watch them like a Hawk.

I think from now on I will use decent quality fuel especially as its done 90k.

Will update the thread with the results on Saturday.

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2012 07:58 #50055 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
KwikFit do a free Exhaust/Cat check. Have booked one on-line. You can do it here www.kwik-fit.com/exhaust-appointment.asp

More
12 Oct 2012 07:58 #50056 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
12 Oct 2012 18:26 #50070 by auchenblae
The MOT data is from Mazda UK for the MX5, the car imported to Europe.

The Eunos Roadster basically the same car off the same production line but usually a higher spec was sold in Japan only and was not impoted by Mazda UK. The Miata being the car officially imported into the US.

Therefore as the Eunos was not imported by Mazda UK they do not provide specs for UK MOT data.

All the Eunos's in the UK were grey imports. The grey imports basically stopped when the exchange rate made it uneconomic

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2012 18:48 #50074 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?

kirkynut wrote: Yes, a different MOT tester was telling me this recently - is this because there are no published specs for it Mark? So it has to fall back to those stats? That's what I've recently been told. A bit like the Mk1 Eunos Roadster I understand, Mazda never produced specs for that either - am I right?

With the new cat the emmisions did improve dramatically - however, I was somewhat confused by the EML not coming on and staying on, even after I cleared it, to tell me the emissions were out of range.

This could be the reason why - the range the emmissions are allowed to go to are alot higher than it was being tested to!

I have an MOT tester singing from the right song sheet now - so should be alright from now on!

Kirkynut

you dont have to tell me that as i am an mot tester

More
12 Oct 2012 21:42 - 12 Oct 2012 21:44 #50104 by kirkynut

markyp2000 wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Yes, a different MOT tester was telling me this recently - is this because there are no published specs for it Mark? So it has to fall back to those stats? That's what I've recently been told. A bit like the Mk1 Eunos Roadster I understand, Mazda never produced specs for that either - am I right?

With the new cat the emmisions did improve dramatically - however, I was somewhat confused by the EML not coming on and staying on, even after I cleared it, to tell me the emissions were out of range.

This could be the reason why - the range the emmissions are allowed to go to are alot higher than it was being tested to!

I have an MOT tester singing from the right song sheet now - so should be alright from now on!

Kirkynut

you dont have to tell me that as i am an mot tester

I know you are, I wasn't telling you, I was asking you if I am right in what I'm thinking, hence the questions ending with a question mark, Mark!

I guess you read it quickly eh?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 12 Oct 2012 21:44 by kirkynut.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2012 21:46 #50107 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
lol yer your right

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2012 13:38 #50159 by GuardianAngel
Well didnt bother going to ShitFit. Googled them and heard too many horror stories echoing the ones in this thread.

So I have reset the code and put in some decent fuel and fuel cleaner (Wynns) and will see what happens.

Its not long had an MOT and it passed emmisions so its proably just the crappy T fuel that caused it.

More
13 Oct 2012 13:59 #50160 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
The catalyst needs to get hot to burn off any dirt, when mine wouldn't pass emissions we left the MOT artificial foot on it for 10 minutes @ 3000 rpm and it passed easily afterwards.
(I did keep sneaking a look at the temp gauge in case it overheated, but it was fine.)

Take it for a thrash down the motorway in dry weather.

I have to use petrol from the big T as they had a rather effective policy of buying up all the independents and closing them down so they could offer a price match within 2 miles on the pumps.
It is tiger petrol though...

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2012 23:49 #54120 by GuardianAngel
Well having driven several hundred miles with the code reset, it has come back on again.

Since the last time I have only used premium non-supermarket fuel. But again, its come on during a long motorway run when p1ssing hard with rain. Could it be water or just the cold messing with the sensors?

I think it might be time to replace them...

• UKDAN
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2012 13:07 #54130 by UKDAN

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds