BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 18:17 #50013 by GuardianAngel
Code P0420 - Cat or sensors? was created by GuardianAngel
The engine warning light has come up on my 51 plate Jimny, and the code reader has come up with the code P0420. After Googling around, it could be the Cat itself, or one of the sensors.

In the forums' experience, what is it likely to be?

The light did appear on my way to Norfolk last weekend, and I have ended up doing about 150 miles since, so am I likely to have made things worse? Performance seems to be OK, no worse than before, and the MPG is OK, as expected really.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 18:27 #50015 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
Reset the code and see if it comes back on before assuming the worst :-)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 18:30 #50016 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
best thing you can do its take it to an mot place and ask to do an emmisions test on it that will tell you if the cat is cuput by the co level and if the lambda reading is high it will be one of the sensors if you have to of them or and exhaust blow

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 18:51 #50018 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
KwikFit do a free Exhaust/Cat check. Have booked one on-line. I cant post the link because the forum thinks I am spamming, so just go to the KF site and the option is obvious.

More
11 Oct 2012 19:00 #50020 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
Oh no! I'm a spammer too and I've generated an administrative alert.

Just likje at work when the sweary obscenity filter reported me for the word Christmas in an email :ohmy:

Go to youtube and search for 5icTmYItwiE ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

More
11 Oct 2012 19:01 #50022 by facade

GuardianAngel wrote: KwikFit do a free Exhaust/Cat check. Have booked one on-line. I cant post the link because the forum thinks I am spamming, so just go to the KF site and the option is obvious.

Betcha you end up needing a complete new exhaust, 4 tyres 4 shock absorbers, brake disks and pads too.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 19:05 - 11 Oct 2012 19:07 #50023 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?

GuardianAngel wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote: KwikFit do a free Exhaust/Cat check. Have booked one on-line. I cant post the link because the forum thinks I am spamming, so just go to the KF site and the option is obvious.

Betcha you end up needing a complete new exhaust, 4 tyres 4 shock absorbers, brake disks and pads too.

"Yes Sir we have checked your car. Now please bend over and touch your toes...." :ohmy:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Last edit: 11 Oct 2012 19:07 by GuardianAngel. Reason: Changed icon, made it sound like I would enjoy it!!!

More
11 Oct 2012 19:17 #50027 by facade
The boys on the forum for The Other Car are looking at a magic fluid called BG44K Fuel system cleaner.

It is supposed to degunk the engine, eliminate the lumpy missfire from 140,000 miles of driving, and clean the catalyst.

Only £14 on eBay, there are good reviews on the 'net: I'm going to get a can for my Jimny, although I worry that all the gunk is keeping the engine together, and it will all go into the catalyst and block it up anyway, but I've had a lumpy idle for the last 3 years, so I may take a punt.
It might just work, and clean the catalyst too.....

More
11 Oct 2012 21:55 #50040 by kirkynut
My list of codes from the workshop manual says for this code "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold"

However, I had a similar code came on if I drove at the same revs for some time and I cleared it and turned the light off, passed an MOT, then the following year, having cleared it a few more times throughout the year it failed the MOT and needed a new CAT to get through.

So I would take MarkyP2000's advice and take it to a friendly MOT station and ask them to put it on their emmissions machine, having turned the light out. If the emmissions are ok, carry on as normal and see what happens.

I don't think putting any cleaning liquid in the fuel will help much really.

I would also advise avoiding Supermarket petrol, especially the big one beggining with T. This kept throwing the equivalent code up on my Mrs BMW 325. The lambda's were tested and are fine, the CAT's apparently never go on those cars and are extremely expensive. It also passed an MOT with very low emmissions. So i suggested to her only buying proper petrol (the Shell 1/2 a mile from the big Supermarket beginning with T price matches them) and it has not come on since!

As a consequence, none of our cars get Supermarket petrol put in them.

As has been said above - do not go to Kwik Fit - you'll find out you need a whole new exhaust, new brake discs and pads, front and rear - despite the fact you have drums on the back, new lambda sensors and windcreen wipers.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 22:21 #50046 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?
no suzuki will fail the mot on emmisions unless the co is above 3.5% or hc is above 2000ppm

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 22:39 #50049 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Code P0420 - Cat or sensors?

GuardianAngel wrote: My list of codes from the workshop manual says for this code "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold"

However, I had a similar code came on if I drove at the same revs for some time and I cleared it and turned the light off, passed an MOT, then the following year, having cleared it a few more times throughout the year it failed the MOT and needed a new CAT to get through.

So I would take MarkyP2000's advice and take it to a friendly MOT station and ask them to put it on their emmissions machine, having turned the light out. If the emmissions are ok, carry on as normal and see what happens.

I don't think putting any cleaning liquid in the fuel will help much really.

I would also advise avoiding Supermarket petrol, especially the big one beggining with T. This kept throwing the equivalent code up on my Mrs BMW 325. The lambda's were tested and are fine, the CAT's apparently never go on those cars and are extremely expensive. It also passed an MOT with very low emmissions. So i suggested to her only buying proper petrol (the Shell 1/2 a mile from the big Supermarket beginning with T price matches them) and it has not come on since!

As a consequence, none of our cars get Supermarket petrol put in them.

As has been said above - do not go to Kwik Fit - you'll find out you need a whole new exhaust, new brake discs and pads, front and rear - despite the fact you have drums on the back, new lambda sensors and windcreen wipers.

Kirkynut

Just before I went on my trip this weekend I put in fuel from T! The light came on during my motorway run, so it was during a long run at highish revs. Interesting parallel.

I will reset the code and get it tested at KwikFit and just ignore their BS about what "needs" to be replaced.

Cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

More
11 Oct 2012 22:43 #50050 by kirkynut
Yes, a different MOT tester was telling me this recently - is this because there are no published specs for it Mark? So it has to fall back to those stats? That's what I've recently been told. A bit like the Mk1 Eunos Roadster I understand, Mazda never produced specs for that either - am I right?

With the new cat the emmisions did improve dramatically - however, I was somewhat confused by the EML not coming on and staying on, even after I cleared it, to tell me the emissions were out of range.

This could be the reason why - the range the emmissions are allowed to go to are alot higher than it was being tested to!

I have an MOT tester singing from the right song sheet now - so should be alright from now on!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds