BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing steering box?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2012 09:07 #43779 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Removing steering box?
make shore the pitman arm goes back in the same place get the front wheels sort of stright get the dteeing wheel stright put the coluum on the box and you shouldnt be far out but be warned as the steering has heen turned an unknown amount of times the air bag ring may nit be in the right place so air bag light may come on horn wont work they are easy to fit new ones if needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2012 18:42 #43820 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Removing steering box?
Thanks for all that Marky. It ended up a mammoth job removing the pitman. After eventually soaking it in plusgas for 24hours it still wouldnt budge even with a slide hammer/puller. I got it off by hacksawing carefully through the arm and splitting it.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 21:44 #43922 by Smoggy
Got the new pitman arm fitted but in doing so ive managed to drain almost all the fluid from the steering box. When I get it back together does anyone know if there is a special procedure needed for bleeding the system. I read somewhere that the situation is more comlicated if the steering box is drained or partially drained?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 22:01 #43999 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Removing steering box?
Just start it up and turn it from lock to lock and topping up the fluid it will make a noise but will stop once the fluid is round the system

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2012 13:44 #44025 by Smoggy

markyp2000 wrote: Just start it up and turn it from lock to lock and topping up the fluid it will make a noise but will stop once the fluid is round the system

Yeah cheers Marky, thats roughly what a Suzuki mechanic told me:

Raise front wheels off ground. Top up reservoir. Turn lock to lock few times. Top up again if necessary. Start engine and leave 1minute. Top Up. Turn lock to lock few times. Top Up. Drop wheels back to ground. Road test. :)

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds