BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Is this normal fuel consumption normal???

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2012 09:20 #43061 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
I get 450k's plus per tank so I think you have a problem for sure. Mine warms up and temp hits normal after about 5 mins, nothing like your length of time. You do put the Jimny in 5th gear hey? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2012 03:34 #43370 by Dan13l
Haha yea I do use 5th and the hubs are working fine.
Can anyone give me a bitta insight I've done a bit of testing with the water temp and engine temp and I believe it could be a faulty thermostat but if where I believe it is, it's going to be a pain in the backside to do :angry:

Is it located pretty much right behind and underneath the intake manifold? And if so how can I remove it with our having to pull apart the rest of the engine to get to it haha?

Cheers

More
02 Jul 2012 16:09 #43398 by mcjimny
All i can find about it say so, not sure if it differs between engines. Have you tried the test i posted before to diagnose the stat as being at fault?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 08:23 #43433 by Dan13l
Yea I did and its just stats cold for ages then slowly starts to get warm but never to the point of not being able to touch it so I presume and hope that is the problem, but there is only one way to find out... Time to pull off the intake manifold :unsure:

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2012 16:28 #43603 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
hey, just been reading through this and i'm getting about 15 mpg from my car and its standard bar 205/70/15 m/t's

did you have any luck sorting it out, because i think there must be a problem with mine also?

• mark1971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2012 16:35 #43605 by mark1971
Replied by mark1971 on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
15 MPG???? my mates 3.9l V8 Disco does more than that...... :ohmy:

More
06 Jul 2012 16:49 #43606 by facade
Mine did about 25MPG, then one day I noticed that the fuel return line had a pinhole in it at the rusty bend behind the front wheel. Only leaked when the engine was running, fixing it got it back up to low 30s.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2012 17:03 #43607 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
its terrible,

i'll give her a clean under and check for leaks she smells a bit of petrol when she's running but couldnt see any leaks when i looked

its a w reg softtop with 62k if that would make any difference

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2012 17:15 #43608 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
i get about 170 miles to a tank but then i have a 6 point exo cage a winch and bumper plus the boot build all the weight added up and 195 80 15 a/t i should expect to lose a bit :lol:

More
06 Jul 2012 17:24 #43609 by mcjimny

Dan13l wrote: Yea I did and its just stats cold for ages then slowly starts to get warm but never to the point of not being able to touch it so I presume and hope that is the problem, but there is only one way to find out... Time to pull off the intake manifold :unsure:

It sounds like its stuck open then, good luck with it. Doesn't look as straightforward as most cars. :evil:

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2012 12:04 #43789 by Dan13l
Hi all seemed to fix it a bit a changed the thermostat (that was a nightmare of a job) but while it was off I had the intake manifold blasted put to smooth all the imperfections out of the internal casting which has made a noticeable difference to performance and she now warms up in about 5-10min at idle (a bit different than an Hour) i haven done a full tank yet but I'm
At half a tank with 225km out of it so Better already :) I hope this was the issue

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds