BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Is this normal fuel consumption normal???

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 02:30 #42614 by Dan13l
Hi all I have a 2008 Suzuki jimny (m13a vvt model) and was just wondering what to expect in the way of fuel economy as I only get around 250km from a tank of fuel (that's worse than my 01 jimny with 33's and reduction gears :ohmy: ) it is running 2" lift, 29" AT's, bullbar and snorkel. And no matter what I do I can't seem to get any more k's out of the beast. It has only done 29thou so I am a little lost as for what could be doing it. I have placed a high flow air filter, better spark plugs including leads and coils as well as changing both 02 sensors with no change. Has anyone else got this problem???

Cheers Daniel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 05:42 #42615 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
Does the engine warm up quickly? If not the thermostat could be stuck in the open position. Making it run rich.

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 08:57 #42625 by Dan13l
Whilst idling it takes around 20-30min to reach running temp but if I just start from cold and drive at an average 60kmh about 5-10 min to reach running temp. It does feel to run a bit hot though to the point where I cant even touch the top plastic spark plug cover without a nice burning sensation through my hand, even after a good half an hour to 45 min sit outside on a cold day but the temp gauge doesn't seem to show anything odd going on with the engine temp??

More
20 Jun 2012 09:17 #42626 by mcjimny
It will run cold if the stats stuck open. Quite possibly the easiest thing to diagnose on any car.
Start it from totally cold, leave it idling to warm it up, hold your hand on the top hose. If it warms up gradually the stats stuck open, if it stays cold then suddenly gets hot its fine, if it stays cold its stuck shut. Once warmed up you shouldn't be able to hold the hose for the heat!

What sort of driving do you do though and what sort of speeds?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Trillian
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 09:18 #42627 by Trillian
Replied by Trillian on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
Thats about 155 miles out of a tank, thats awful, I get about 220 miles / 355 km just driving round town.

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 09:52 #42630 by Dan13l
I drive to and from work which is 40km round trip with about 35km of that trip sitting at 80kmh and the other 5km at 60kmh. I even thought it was my driving style so I backed off the right foot a bit and started to drive a couple of weeks a lot easier but nothing changed. I even dropped back to standard tyre size and that's made things worse, so I'm pretty confused

• Trillian
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 11:00 #42633 by Trillian
Replied by Trillian on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
Even when my exhaust was blowing I only maybe lost 20 miles per tank.

Do you know if the engine has been re mapped?

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2012 12:15 #42638 by Dan13l
nah the mechanicals and electrics are all as stock as the day it rolled off the showroom floor and the guy I brought it off was a 60 year old family friend that brought it as a little run about but had to sell due to not being eligible to drive anymore so the history is well known and but he never drove it under half a tank of fuel so we don't no when this fuel problem started or if it was like it from new

More
20 Jun 2012 15:36 #42648 by mcjimny
If you've done all that to it i'd suggest a fuel treatment like redex/stp into a full tank then have a good run with sustained speeds of 55mph+. If its only been used for short runs and "pootled" about before you got it, it could just be clogged up, modern engines need to be worked.
While mine isn't a VVT engine i only ever got about 200 miles or so to a full tank with local driving on stock tyres. Changing back to stock tyres will have made little difference at speed, if anything its worse as you will gear the car up on taller tyres. I drive about 40miles round trip everyday on 195/80 tyres and get almost 200miles to a full tank now its had a fuel treatment through it and a good run recently.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Dan13l
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2012 04:29 #42974 by Dan13l
Just an update I've replaced the thermostat and put some cleaner through the system but with no change in fuel consumption, how can I tell of the fuel pressure regulator is playing up and could this be the issue?

More
27 Jun 2012 15:09 #42988 by Halford
250km from a tank of fuel = 155 miles, that really is rubbish :blink:

suggest you setup a camera on the car when it's parked up and catch who's siphoning off a couple of 5 lt jerrys :huh:

• Mala43B
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2012 20:34 #43029 by Mala43B
Replied by Mala43B on topic Re: Is this normal fuel consumption normal???
I can only get about 190 to 200 miles per tank but the my front hubs are always locked due to a fault within the vacuum system.

Check your hubs are working it may be more than one problem.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds