BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Possible death wobble ?

More
25 Jul 2023 16:27 #249992 by neffy33
Replied by neffy33 on topic Possible death wobble ?
in this never ending drama .

I went back to the garage who put in my new tyres and as suspected the front two tyres needed a good balance,
The tyre guy was kind enough to tell me that my left hand tie rod was worn and needed replacing which maybe the other reason to my problems.

i am amazed that the prior mechanic did not notice it  as he was the one replacing the wheel bearing .
I think i will get both tie rods replaced just to be on the safe side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2023 21:45 #249998 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Possible death wobble ?
A worn tie rod component is going to influence the susceptibility to wobble or vibration, it's one of the many components that need to be in good order to prevent this. I am surprised it wasn't noticed during the alignment process, it's one of the components you adjust.
I would get whomever is going to fix this to check front wheel bearings, kingpin bearings, all ball joints on the steering and rubber bushes for play. If they don't know what these items are on the Jimny find another mechanic.
Good luck
M

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
26 Jul 2023 16:02 #250008 by jackonlyjack
I would advise changing all 4 tie rod ends 2 left hand threads and 2 right hand

More
28 Jul 2023 17:43 #250027 by neffy33
It seems that the mechanic who put in the new kingpin bearing didn't do a good enough job and now  the left hand Bearing is leaking oil .Just curious if anyone has purchased a oem kingpin set .Does the set inculde parts to repair both kingpins ? i am definitely putting a complaint in as this is ridiculous at this point . 

More
28 Jul 2023 19:57 #250029 by jackonlyjack
Most kits available come with 2 bearings 1 oil seal for axle
Other kits come with swivel seal 
1 kit does one side only 

More
31 Jul 2023 19:09 - 31 Jul 2023 19:09 #250060 by neffy33
I have looked at the invoice from the garage that I got the kingpin repaired and as suspected they only fixed one kingpin when I assumed they would fix one.They obviously did not communicate this to me.I have attached picture of the leaking kingpin. I just find it weired how they fixed one kingpin and the passenger side kingpin goes right after .It consistently smells like diff oil when i go near my car eurgh.Looking at the pics what do people think? Shall i order the kingpin alongside a pair of shims? Or shall I just order a new swivel kit ? I've taken alot of pics for people to get a good view. 
I have also attached a picture of the right side which they repaired 
Last edit: 31 Jul 2023 19:09 by neffy33.

More
31 Jul 2023 22:34 #250061 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Possible death wobble ?
The oil leak comes from the drive shaft seal, it must be leaking. These often go when the kingpin bearing wears and that also gives you the wobble.

The large swivel seal is just a dust seal to stop dust and water from entering the swivel.

When my kingpin bearings, I bought a kit of bearings, drive shaft oil seal and large swivel seal. I didn’t need shims. I suggest you need the same, kingpin bearings, oil seal and large swivel seal.

Strange the garage didn’t mention you needed both sides doing. Mind when mine went, only one was showing a little oil and had play, the other didn’t, so I only replaced one side, only to find it reduced the wobble but didn’t fix it completely. I then did the other side and the wobble was gone.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
31 Jul 2023 23:33 - 31 Jul 2023 23:35 #250062 by neffy33
Thank you for getting back to me .

It does seem trying to find a reliable garage who are not willing to do half a job in Birmingham is pretty hard.  I had this feeling that they somehow knew that the same thing would happen to the left side but we're too lazy to fix the issue.
Certainly not trusting them again.

I have found it to be a little more cost effective ordering the parts separately on ebay. 

so will order all the parts in and see if this resolves the issue.  

Last edit: 31 Jul 2023 23:35 by neffy33.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds