BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Possible death wobble ?

More
21 Jul 2023 08:32 #249941 by neffy33
Hi everyone 

Prior to taking the car to the mechanic i was experiencing my steering juddering like mad when i went over 40mph 
When i went to mechanic they stated " front axel swivel joint was leaking /corrosion and they replaced with Swivel Joint Bearings.

Now I took a motorway journey yesterday and the steering judders on certian types of road which is weird as I thought the issue would be resolved .

Car details : 2004 JLX Jimny
Tyres : Brand New

The mechanic also stated the other following issues : 

offside front cutrigger needs welding ( hasn't been fixed yet ) 

offside rear spring hanger needs welding ( this has been fixed .

what do people think ?

Is it worth replacing the entire front axle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2023 13:05 #249943 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Possible death wobble ?

Tyres : Brand New

There is the clue. The tyres have probably not been balanced correctly.

More
21 Jul 2023 17:20 #249947 by oldgazzer
Replied by oldgazzer on topic Possible death wobble ?
Make sure tyres are at the correct pressure!

More
21 Jul 2023 18:40 #249948 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Possible death wobble ?
As above, first check pressures.
Last time I let quit fit change mine they inflated to 34psi all 4 corners.

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

More
21 Jul 2023 20:42 #249950 by neffy33
Replied by neffy33 on topic Possible death wobble ?
Hi everyone 

Thank you for the prompt reply i will get those tyres balanced ASAP and get wheel alignment done . 

I have some toyo suv tyres fitted and have been told the correct psi on the tyres is 36psi .

More
21 Jul 2023 20:58 #249951 by lesgrandepotato
That sounds high. I’m a couple of beers to the good but I think I’m running 23psi all round. It’s not a heavy vehicle 

More
21 Jul 2023 22:09 #249952 by oldgazzer
Replied by oldgazzer on topic Possible death wobble ?
Mine is front 24psi - rear 26psi
www.tyre-pressures.com/bycar/suzuki/jimny/2005

More
21 Jul 2023 22:30 - 21 Jul 2023 22:34 #249953 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Possible death wobble ?
Yep your tyre pressure is on the high side. 23-26 in front is around the mark.
NO you don't need to replace the axle.
Get the tyre balance checked first as above^^^^^
​​​​​​
After that it gets a little more complex to resolve. The complete axle and steering component system all contribute to damping out any oscillation. Simply when new everything is tight, ball joints, bearings, even suspension dampers. Over time things start to get a little sloppy and in some instances, such as your kingpin bearings, they fail. These changes make the vehicle front end susceptible to oscillations, ie death wobble around the 45 -55 mark. So just fixing one item may /may not totally prevent the oscillation. Bumps in the road or changes in road surface can set the oscillations going.
​​​​​​So if everything looks in good order, bearings,  ball joints and rubber bushes you can add preload washers to the kingpins bearings to compensate by adding a bit of "load" to this area. Alternatively you can fit a steering damper, or do both if required.
M

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 22:34 by Scimike.

More
24 Jul 2023 17:42 #249980 by neffy33
Hi everyone 

I went to get the tyres aligned today and the tyres were slightly out of alignment which has been fixed .

I've taken the car for a drive and it is still doing the same thing .
Once you hit around 40mph it's doing its usually judder

There is no wobble .
Car does not judder when braking .
Although the tyres are alignmend it does veer to the left every so slightly. 

What else could do this be ?

More
24 Jul 2023 17:48 #249981 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Possible death wobble ?
You want to balance the wheels, not alignment.

More
24 Jul 2023 20:34 #249985 by neffy33
When I got the tyres fitted they did balance them but it seems like they obviously didn't do a good enough job. 

If I go to the garage again and the balance is the issue will they mess up the alignment ? 

More
24 Jul 2023 22:50 #249986 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Possible death wobble ?
Hi
No it won't change the alignment.
Balance and alignment are two separate things and adjusting one will not impact the other. Alignment simplified is how much the front wheels point in ( toe in ) or point out (toe out) in relation to each other, they are very rarely parallel. You adjust the track rods / ball joints on the steering rack to change this. Balance stops the wheel from shaking as it rotates, heavy spots are balanced by adding weights to the wheel.

YOu could try moving wheels front to back and see if this changes anything. If it does it's likely to be balance, but try to keep the same make of tyre on the front. I have experienced different tyre makes (hence different tread patterns) inducing a shake on perfectly balanced tyres.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds