BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Saving Fuel

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 07:36 - 21 Mar 2018 07:38 #190663 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Saving Fuel

Herzog wrote: You got a pics of your tyres 1066Boy?
Also what’s best ATs that don’t suck the MPG down.

Mine are M/T's but work well on the road. Get higher mpg with the other one that running Yokoharma Geolanders AT/S. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2018 07:38 by 1066Boy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2018 08:43 #190664 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Saving Fuel

1066Boy wrote: Get higher mpg with the other one that running Yokoharma Geolanders AT/S. :)

Have they got the same rolling radius though because bigger tyres will alter the mpg readings.
On my Cherry I had tyres which were intended to give max mpg (but even then it is only a measly few mpg if that) but they were horrific noisewise and comfortwise. I switched to a quieter tyre and I couldn't detect any significant mpr difference. I mean, we ain't taking 20+% improvements here are we?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
21 Mar 2018 09:13 #190665 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Saving Fuel

Busta wrote: You can drive them really slowly and get 35mpg and be very bored. Or you can thrash them, get 30mpg and have a bit of fun doing it. The difference is 2.5p per mile, so I do the latter.

Guess that sums up the whole point of not buying a boring car that saves fuel..

However compared to other off-road capable cars, the jimny must be one of the best ones when it comes to fuel efficiency.
And servicing a larger car or diesel is pricey even without the turbo, inter cooler and cylinder heads failing.
I dunno the fuel price levels in the UK but here it is at approx 14-15NOK approx 1.3-1.4£
If you have to drive a lot it matters more though.
I can save a lot of fuel by simply walking to work or the grocery shop.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
21 Mar 2018 09:24 #190667 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Saving Fuel

yakuza wrote:

Busta wrote: You can drive them really slowly and get 35mpg and be very bored. Or you can thrash them, get 30mpg and have a bit of fun doing it. The difference is 2.5p per mile, so I do the latter.

Guess that sums up the whole point of not buying a boring car that saves fuel..

However compared to other off-road capable cars, the jimny must be one of the best ones when it comes to fuel efficiency.
And servicing a larger car or diesel is pricey even without the turbo, inter cooler and cylinder heads failing.
I dunno the fuel price levels in the UK but here it is at approx 14-15NOK approx 1.3-1.4£
If you have to drive a lot it matters more though.
I can save a lot of fuel by simply walking to work or the grocery shop.

I have a car that I bought for fuel economy and in real terms I am getting 65 ish per gallon and it is no boring car I can assure you. It is a Suzuki and it goes like a rocket, corners like a funfair ride and has all the latest gizmos. TBF if you were to look at the Suzuki Ignis you might find it delivers all that you want unless you want mudplugging, rock climbing stuff. lol In my Mitsubishi Junior I am getting around 35mpg though I cannot be too sure yet as I have only just started running it with a working thermostat and it ran permanently cold the previous time I used it so was drinking petrol. So it is par for the course.
Another advantage of an early early Jimny is the lower road fund.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 19:12 #190693 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Saving Fuel
Yes the Yokoharmas are standard size. Normal running they are much better but if doing a long run on the motorways, the larger size is better due to the higher gearing. :)

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds