BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

soft top jimny

• Carter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 22:43 #84843 by Carter
soft top jimny was created by Carter
just wondered what peoples views are on the jimny soft top do they come with many problems?
what are their advantages and dis advantages?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 22:58 #84844 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic soft top jimny
Mines fine good in summer they differ in build quality abit as there made in spain and they sleep half the day ive only owned the soft top so could compare but if I thought a bit better I would of got a hard top as engines are easyer to come by. warmer no roof the worry about and hard top proberly better to make a proper offroader I would think there better if you rolled it. But the as soon as the sun comes next year ill be loving the top down

JIMNYLESS

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 23:01 #84845 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic soft top jimny
The frame that holds the canvas roof up will rot and the poppers that hold it to the body will break. This all causes it to leak water and rust inside the boot, and of course it will be very easy to break into it.

If you have spare cash, you can get a hardtop cover.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 23:09 #84846 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic soft top jimny
I love my rag top Jimny. Had it for 12-13 years and 380,000+ kilometres. My favourite mode of transport and taken on many long trips throughout Oz. It's a bit lighter than the boxy vans, but it is a "fun in the sun" type vehicle. I'm averaging about 7l/100k's so quite economical, probably more so because of the "Fastback" type of rag top that I changed it to. The Jimny is waterproof and quickly converts from covered to open. When I ordered mine I asked for and got complete galvanised dip instead of the half dip. It was an hundred dollar option in 2000.

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 06:13 #84856 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic soft top jimny
The CO's got a rag top and we've not had a single problem with it (except, being Spanish, it can't go past a tapas bar).

Great for the summer with the top down (greatly increases the smile factor) and the heater is so good that in the winter it will defrost everything in a 100 yard radius as you go along.

However, the roof is about as secure as a young girl on Jim'll Fix It. Anyone that can tackle poppers and velcro is in. I'm actually thinking of installing a soft top specific alarm.

What hasn't helped is that my daughter borrowed the car in the summer and split the roof with her clumsy stretching to pop the hood in place. Black duck tape is doing the job for now, but I think I'll have to remortgage the house to buy a replacement.

UNLESS ANYONE OUT THERE HAS A GOOD EXAMPLE THEY'RE TRYING TO SELL. ;)

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 07:23 #84860 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic soft top jimny
I really like my soft-top 2003 Jimny, we have lot's of fun with it and we did have some beautyfull times on holiday's.
We did travelled a lot with-it (France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands) and i like this little Jimny more than our other "bigger" and more comfortable cars !
When you think about it... you have two car's for the price of one !!!
In summer you have a cabrio and in winter time you have the perfect snow-mobil... :)
To open and close the soft-top, you only need some seconds (even with the older version).
Also as off-roader (with some minor adaptions) you don't have to blush...
For my safety (and the co-driver's), i do have a internal rollover-bar.
The only thing you need is a bit off common sense and not go offroading with some people in the back (i also don't want to do that in a "non-cabrio" version !).
For normal road use i'm also very happy with it, i don't like the "computerised" car's who drive the car for you and i'm almoast falling asleep in them.
Not in the Jimny, it's keeping me awake because i "feel" it, you really driving it yourselve and that... is why i like this little one.
Attachments:

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 09:59 #84874 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic soft top jimny

GuardianAngel wrote: If you have spare cash, you can get a hardtop cover.

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/accessori...ersion/prod_275.html :ohmy:

if your gonna do that buy a hard top to begin with.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 10:07 #84875 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Re: soft top jimny

jonesyba420 wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote: If you have spare cash, you can get a hardtop cover.

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/accessori...ersion/prod_275.html :ohmy:

if your gonna do that buy a hard top to begin with.

True but I was thinking that you could remove it for sunny days :)

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 10:37 #84878 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:Re: soft top jimny
but for 1300+, id rather be abit hotter in summer and maybe look slightly less "cool" (if looking cool is even possible in a jimny) and spend that "spare cash" on more useful mods.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 10:40 #84881 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Re: Re:Re: soft top jimny

jonesyba420 wrote: but for 1300+, id rather be abit hotter in summer and maybe look slightly less "cool" (if looking cool is even possible in a jimny) and spend that "spare cash" on more useful mods.

I would agree. Hardtop is a better bet overall.

• Poyner111
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 14:43 #84898 by Poyner111
Replied by Poyner111 on topic Re:Re: Re:Re: soft top jimny
Noisy but nice in the summer

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2013 15:00 #84899 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Re:Re: Re:Re: soft top jimny
I call it CO soundproofing.

We have been married 32 years and I have a certificate to prove it. I've gone deaf in one ear! :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds