BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Finally! But some questions...

More
23 Aug 2022 09:15 #244697 by mlines

I thought that ther was a prohibition against fitting an led element into a lamp unit not specifically designed for such a thing.

yes there is in the UK for headlamps as far as I am aware

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2022 09:49 #244698 by DrRobin
That is correct, in the UK you can only fit a LED bulb in to fittings which were designed for LEDs, not retrofit to fittings designed for halogen. This applies to all external light units.

It doesn't stop retailers from selling them or people fitting them, but the better retailers state they are for off-road use only.

It will be an MOT failure, if the tester picks up on it, so I guess people who use them swap to a halogen before the MOT.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Aug 2022 13:06 #244700 by fordem

I thought that ther was a prohibition against fitting an led element into a lamp unit not specifically designed for such a thing.

I'm not familiar with the wording of the relevant legislation in the UK, but if it's like the US, the requirement will be that the light source (incandescent filament, HID or LED) has been tested in the lamp fixture and certified as compliant with the regulations - the fixture may have been designed for a filament bulb, but if someone were to develop an LED replacement that mimicked the output of a filament bulb, it would theoretically be possible to certify the replacement.

Whilst this has been attempted before with both HID & LED bulbs in headlamp fixtures designed for incandescent bulbs, one of the short comings has been that final positioning of the replacement bulb was left up to the installer, making it not only possible but very easy for them to get it wrong, and this I believe is one of the design factors that Osram has found a way to deal with.

In this particular instance Osram is providing a list of vehicles and the countries for which certification has been met. - they specifically state that the lamp is not legal in countries where the traffic drives on the left (so UK) and based on my familiarity with the H4 bulbs, it is my suspicion that it is a paperwork/certification issue rather than the beam pattern actually being incorrect.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Aug 2022 18:08 #244703 by Lambert
Reading between the lines on the lighting regs, which are written in full legalese, it seems that the main requirements are having suitable conformity markings on the filament/light source, reflector and housing to work as a common unit.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds