BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My 2020 Jimny overlander build

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2020 08:26 #229156 by Chalky the Jimny
Replied by Chalky the Jimny on topic My 2020 Jimny overlander build
The biggest mission so far was stripping the back and adding sound deadening and rear speakers (with the rear speaker kit).

I was also meant to do the reverse camera but I was over working at that point and held out to do that another day .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Oct 2020 09:19 #229158 by Lambert
Looking good!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Oct 2020 09:40 #229161 by DAGZOOK
Welcome to the forum! your work so far looks very high standard. I'll be interested to see how the sound deadening improves the cabin noise as I've always thought the Jimny was relatively quiet to drive daily at motorway speeds (minus the engine noise). The only time I've noticed a bit of noise is when it's rained heavily and water is being splashed at the arches.

As you've gone through all that effort in the back, it may be worth sticking some rock wool insulation in the rear quarter arch cavities. That'll prevent any cold spot condensation and further improve acoustic deadening. A large roll of 100mm rock wool costs a pittance :side:

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2020 09:43 #229162 by Chalky the Jimny
Thanks Dagzook,

Good advice!

I was thinking of something along those lines but didn't know what to get.

Yeah I don't think the floor area was necessary, I've only heard real noise from the wheel arches, which I'm sure will be louder off-road (gravel and sand). But I had it stripped and had the kit anyways, so did it.

I think I can hear a small difference, but I'll only truly be able to tell on the motorway or offroad. The rear speakers definitely improve the sound quality in the car, so glad I did it.

More
16 Oct 2020 09:47 #229164 by DAGZOOK

Chalky the Jimny wrote: Thanks Dagzook,

Good advice!

I was thinking of something along those lines but didn't know what to get.

Yeah I don't think the floor area was necessary, I've only heard real noise from the wheel arches, which I'm sure will be louder off-road (gravel and sand). But I had it stripped and had the kit anyways, so did it.

I think I can hear a small difference, but I'll only truly be able to tell on the motorway or offroad. The rear speakers definitely improve the sound quality in the car, so glad I did it.

Well there you go, if you already had the gear it was a job well done as you needed to get in there for the rear speaker upgrade anyway. You can pick rock wool insulation up at any decent builders merchants or DIY store (B&Q etc). Cheap as chips, any excess from the roll just chuck it in the loft :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chalky the Jimny

More
16 Oct 2020 11:19 #229166 by lookonimages
Chalky
That looks absolute awesome so far

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
16 Oct 2020 16:05 #229174 by Soeley
You've been busy, all nice little mods.

The Rockwool seems an interesting idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 00:25 - 19 Oct 2020 00:26 #229251 by Chalky the Jimny
I finally got off-road today on some green lanes. Had a great time!

Annoyingly it all went too well, now I can't win the battle in my head of convincing myself I NEED the BFG KO2's that I know make it look so much cooler .... I just can't justify the £700ish when I have 5 tyres that work just fine, even off-road.

A real Shame...

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 00:26 by Chalky the Jimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Oct 2020 04:13 #229254 by Lambert
The way I have always looked at tyres for green lanes is that if the lane is sufficiently soft and muddy to need a mud tyre then it is probably not in s suitable condition for me to be driving it. If that means that some lanes are summer only that's fine. If it also means that I am not responsible for damage to the lane surface, also good. There is an argument that goes along the lines of knobbly tyres offer more grip and therefore less chances of spinning a wheel but in my experience a mud tyre is always attempting to bite through the surface which breaks it up quicker. More like a plough than a roller.

I'm not saying mud tyres don't have a place but I would suggest it's not on public roads.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Oct 2020 07:02 #229259 by Soeley
I found the standard tyres excellent in all the conditions I used them in. I think people are too quick to dismiss them because they are standard from the factory (and for the look). I don't really get the idea of fitting big knobley tyres on a car that will not go off road, as some people do.
I was going to keep mine until they'd worn out. But decided to swap my alloys to steel wheels as they were getting damaged from rocks, and a set of used Yokohama Geolanders in standard size came available at a good price with about 5000 miles of use, so was a bit of a no brainer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
19 Oct 2020 09:11 #229266 by DAGZOOK
I agree with Lambert and Soeley, in that the stock tyres are very capable and will most likely get you where you intend to go.

I recently decided to fit BFG K02's to my Gen.4 over other more 'road biased' (yet very capable) All terrains, not from a tyre capability perspective but more for the total piece of mind that I gained in relation to puncture resistance and durability. Any added performance that the K02's offered was a 'bonus' and not the sole reason I purchased the tyres.

I attended a GLASS introductory 4x4 course this weekend with the Gen.4 wearing it's new K02's. It's a fantastic tyre and I'm confident that they'll stand up to more abuse than i'm willing to throw at them. Giving me total peace of mind whilst travelling solo with the other half and the dog.

I'd say it depends more on your intended purpose for the vehicle rather than solely the type of terrain you're likely to play with. If you're travelling to remote locations, often solo then the upgrade would be justified.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 09:14 #229267 by Chalky the Jimny

Lambert wrote: The way I have always looked at tyres for green lanes is that if the lane is sufficiently soft and muddy to need a mud tyre then it is probably not in s suitable condition for me to be driving it. If that means that some lanes are summer only that's fine. If it also means that I am not responsible for damage to the lane surface, also good. There is an argument that goes along the lines of knobbly tyres offer more grip and therefore less chances of spinning a wheel but in my experience a mud tyre is always attempting to bite through the surface which breaks it up quicker. More like a plough than a roller.

I'm not saying mud tyres don't have a place but I would suggest it's not on public roads.

Dreadnaught, I agree, I wouldn't go with mud tyres as they are a bit much for me. But the BFG KO2's are all terrain tyres. The reason I want them (other than looks) is I had them on my land cruiser and they took me across Africa with no faults (except a few came off the rims in the sand dunes in Namibia, definitely too low pressure and my hard driving) - even when they really should have been destroyed due to the places I was driving. So they have my up most respect, and I wouldn't trust any other tyres like I trust them.

They would be primarily for overland use abroad.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds