BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:MrChips Silver SZ5

More
02 Oct 2019 16:12 - 02 Oct 2019 16:19 #214184 by MrChips
MrChips Silver SZ5 was created by MrChips
I tried to post this a while ago, but I think my pictures were all on the large side.
This is my new SZ5 aka Ludwig. I picked him up on the 6th July after about 6 months wait.

It was a firm ride home, with 40psi in the tyres. Now the requisite 26psi
Silver wasn’t my first choice, but I’m glad I ended up with it, having driven a silver X-type for the last 10 years.
I love the way it drives; I love the gearbox and I love the ride.
I’ve done about 3600 miles now
I’ve drive it to work which has 50 and 70 speed limits and a fair bit of motorway. I’ve no problem driving at national speed limits. I find it plenty stable enough and only getting noisy when pushing to overtake over 70.
One of my first thoughts was to get straight out and get some larger 215/75 tyres but looking at it on my drive I have no issues with the aesthetics of the stock rubber.
I may change at a later date, but it just seems a waste at this point. When I do, I will likely go for Yokohama Geolanders in stock size or 215/75
Less than a week after picking the car up I was off to Porto via Gatwick. I’d had a few bags of shopping sliding up and down behind the rear seats and the thought of suitcases doing the same prompted some quick, if only short-term mods.
Some anti-slip covering for the rear £22.95: - www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HFTRCH/r...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This stuff works a treat, the cases didn’t move and now the shopping in the stays put.
Some Door edge protection enough to cover all three door edges £10.99: - www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DKYGY2J/r...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does what it should and looks ok with the Silver/Black.
I also bought some Thule wing bars, feet and locking knobs
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J2K3YSC/r...01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After returning from my hols a few days ago I have been fitting some new speakers.
I was inspired by seeing separate tweeters fitted to the door trim and very much appreciate the posts on how to by various other gen4 chaps, thanks

I took a bit of a gamble on the speakers fitting, and it turns out they don’t really. I therefor took it upon myself to make them fit .Here’s how went. (not for the squeamish!)
The Tweeters really are too big, but I made up a foam disc and figured they might just with some effort. I accurately marked both plastics with some dividers and then made the hole in the first one.
I just held the hole saw and used my hand to turn it, after making a pilot hole.

The cutter was new and made a good hole without power tools, as I didn’t want a slip or snatch.

While offering up the trim, with the tweeter housing fitted, to the door frame it was a long way from clipping back into place. The Tweeter panel mount had room to spare behind and beside the tweeter, which fitted with a bayonet locking twist. I therefore go to work with some course grit sandpaper.

After much trial and error and with nothing left to sand the panel clipped home. Phew!

I’m really pleased with the external finish, and although it looks beaten up, the tweeter housing is still very solid.

Rise and repeat for the other side now I know the hole measurement was optimal.
Next onto the woofers. I bought the 13cm upgrade kit from the Big Jimny store, however it seems to be too small for my 13cm/5 ¼” speakers.

I suppose you need the smaller speakers with two sets of holes, looking at Gadgets guide with hindsight. I would argue that maybe the pioneers ain’t 13cm but seem to be a dual fit. Anyhoo I’m no expert and I’m gonna make mine fit regardless as the adaptor spacing depth seems key here.
A quick speaker old/new comparison

My speakers have a 5 spoke basket, which means getting the adapters in the vice and filing. It doesn’t need to be pretty (erm, cos it’s not), it just needs the basket to fit.

There is still enough material in the adapter that I can drill four small pilot holes and fix the speakers with the self-tappers provided.

I needed to perform one more horror with my sheet metal nibbling tool, in order to make the speaker terminal post fit into the door skin.

The crossover was stuck in place using some 3M dual lock and loop Velcro type stuff, in case I need to retrieve it at some point. The Crossover set switch was at -3db due to the tweeter location.

And there you have it. The looks alone have made it worth the effort. Over the coming weeks the sounds should confirm the effort too.
I’ve fitted some Pioneer TS-G1320F speakers in the rear to fill in the sound
I've also fitted sound insulation and deadening. Post to follow. Cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 16:19 by MrChips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Bill Portland, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 17:58 #214193 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:MrChips Silver SZ5
Nice report. No pics showing for me though

More
02 Oct 2019 18:43 #214195 by MrChips
Replied by MrChips on topic Re:MrChips Silver SZ5
should have pictures added now.!?

More
02 Oct 2019 18:57 #214198 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Re:MrChips Silver SZ5
Great stuff, love the tweeters - you're braver than me chopping holes in the trim! :)

More
02 Oct 2019 19:04 #214202 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic MrChips Silver SZ5
Tweeters look factory fit, job ell done.

More
02 Oct 2019 20:38 #214220 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic MrChips Silver SZ5
This is all I see

More
02 Oct 2019 20:50 #214221 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic MrChips Silver SZ5
Strange, I can see all the pictures?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 21:27 #214223 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic MrChips Silver SZ5
All good here too....

More
03 Oct 2019 17:03 #214259 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic MrChips Silver SZ5
Welcome to the Silver SZ5 club Mr Chips! Cracking vehicle even if I do say so myself. B)

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds