BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

More
23 Jan 2019 21:52 #201571 by Max Headroom
That's a really good comprehensive review Gadget. [smiley thumbs up needed here]

Astonishing that there isn't a gear-position-indicator in the instrument cluster as is with other autos that I've driven, but I don't see why you couldn't retro-fit a small external and discreet (red) led somewhere near the gear shift so at night you can glance down and check.

I share your frustration with the seats not having some sort of 'memory' for the reclined position they were set at. Many cars are like this

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2019 22:47 #201576 by Bob1050
Agree - well written and informative review
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, johnjohanaphy

More
23 Jan 2019 22:55 #201578 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

Max Headroom wrote: That's a really good comprehensive review Gadget. [smiley thumbs up needed here]

Astonishing that there isn't a gear-position-indicator in the instrument cluster as is with other autos that I've driven, but I don't see why you couldn't retro-fit a small external and discreet (red) led somewhere near the gear shift so at night you can glance down and check.

I share your frustration with the seats not having some sort of 'memory' for the reclined position they were set at. Many cars are like this

There is a gear position indicator on the dash.

More
24 Jan 2019 07:04 #201591 by Gadget

saxj wrote: There is a gear position indicator on the dash.

Yes, I've only just realised that's there, oops! I blame my lack of familiarity with auto cars :blush:

More
24 Jan 2019 11:36 #201603 by facade
Thanks for the review, I was interested in what the auto is like, as I have one on order.

2 extra questions, I should have answered the first myself when I went to the dealers but I forgot :blush:

Is there actually a gutter over the doors, like in The Olden Days, to stop water flooding in when you open them, or is it just an overhang?

What is it like reversing at night with the gangsta windows? My Renault Nissan has them and I can't see a thing going backwards in the dark- I even checked that the reverse lamps actually came on :whistle:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Jan 2019 11:42 #201604 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

facade wrote: Thanks for the review, I was interested in what the auto is like, as I have one on order.

2 extra questions, I should have answered the first myself when I went to the dealers but I forgot :blush:

Is there actually a gutter over the doors, like in The Olden Days, to stop water flooding in when you open them, or is it just an overhang?

What is it like reversing at night with the gangsta windows? My Renault Nissan has them and I can't see a thing going backwards in the dark- I even checked that the reverse lamps actually came on :whistle:

It has a proper gutter. I would have preferred if they had extended it down the front of the A pillars though.

Reversing with the tinted windows is crap!
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade, Bill Portland

More
24 Jan 2019 12:04 - 24 Jan 2019 12:06 #201607 by facade

saxj wrote:
It has a proper gutter. I would have preferred if they had extended it down the front of the A pillars though.

Good, in The Olden Days I didn't have to sit in a puddle all the time. With these "better, modern" cars as soon as I open the door to get in, the car leans slightly, and by the time I get in, all the water on the roof has cascaded straight down onto the seat :evil:
I guess if it stops short on the A pillar, the water drops straight into the footwell.

Reversing with the tinted windows is crap!

Thought so...

Whilst I still have the mobility, when I reverse the current Jimny, I simply turn round and drive it backwards looking out the rear window.

Tbh, the only SZ5 feature I actually want/need is the heated mirrors, I have to have (and pay for) the rest because they don't do an SZ4 auto.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 12:06 by facade.

More
28 Jan 2019 06:39 #201895 by Gadget
150 mile update. Still really enjoying the drive and getting more used to having people stare at me in wonder/horror. A lady in a gen 3 almost crashed as she was staring so hard.

Similar notes to others - auto headlights are super sensitive and come on when you go beneath any kind of bridge. LED headlights are epically powerful even on dipped beam. No manual level adjustment though and the auto levelling leaves them slightly higher than I'd like, although that's possibly due to the much higher stance of the car than I'm used to.

Seats need more support under the thighs but are comfy enough and the heated bits get hot quickly. Foot rest on the auto car is oddly shaped/angled, so it feels a bit uncomfy after a while, appears to be made for people with feet smaller than my sister (TM Die Hard).

Having come from a massive estate to this, I'm still getting used to the challenge of fitting everything in. Me/wife/son fit fine, but the gubbins for a walk in the woods really necessitate leaving the 4th seat flapped down. Need to source luggage anchor points for a cargo net as the hard seat backs are slippy slidy.

Economy on my auto is over 35 average at the moment, with a mix of 60mph A roads and local streets.

Had the collision avoidance system kick in yesterday while weaving through parked cars, just the alert and it didn't slam the brakes on thankfully.

Despite the steering wheel controls I still wish the stereo had a volume knob, on screen touch slider thing impossible to locate blind.

Auto box model benefits from a larger shelf to store mobile phone than manual cars, can accommodate a phablet beneath the usb socket.

Android auto works well, however doesn't reconnect automatically if you leave phone connected when switching ignition off then starting again. V annoying!

Stereo nice and loud and doesn't distort, but only having front speakers means it had to be turned up in order to son to hear in the back. Have spotted grilles in rear side trim to take additional speakers, but not sure if brave enough to take a screwdriver to it this early in our relationship!

Backrests not returning to previous recline setting after moving to get into back seats would probably cause bloodshed in our household if this were our only car. Has made me remember why I've always avoided 3 door cars like the plague.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
28 Jan 2019 19:29 #201941 by Themooingman
Points well made gadget I forgot about the seat not returning back to position ! Kids find it annoying !

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover

More
07 Feb 2019 12:48 #202731 by Gadget
Decided to add some A/T tyres - Yokohama Geolandar G015 in 215/75R15.

Compared to OEM Bridgestone Duellers:

Attachments:

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2019 19:18 #202750 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
The title of this post confuses me every single time I see it. I hate it for it, but I love it for how descriptive and spot on it is.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2019 21:01 - 07 Feb 2019 21:01 #202764 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Looking good, need a scrub up and a tyre dressing on them to keep them nice ;)
Last edit: 07 Feb 2019 21:01 by Daniel30.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds