BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My RTT Jimny

• TaterTot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2018 13:40 - 20 Aug 2018 13:40 #195287 by TaterTot
My RTT Jimny was created by TaterTot
So as promised, I would post some pictures of my little Jimny.

This is the little donkey. Has a few marks on it, and is a bit of a work in progress.

I started with tearing out the back seats.

Added base board

Cut and shaped top boards

Then applied a bit of magic, and a gap of time. (I simply forgot to take pictures)

Drawers with working surface.

If you look closely at the 2nd picture, you'll see that the top surface is actually two parts. The part that is towards the seat is the lid for two compartments, while the main surface is covering the drawers. The surfaces are supported by solid walls, in both axis. One following the line where the two surfaces meet, and the other goes along, and between the drawers. The walls stiffen the construction, and carries a lot of the load.

I made some small lamps, that I can stick to the ceiling (or anywhere else where there is metal), so I can have a nightlight.

I got two of these, and they are stored on the right side, of the right drawer. They have a thin magnet strip they can hang onto there, while not in use.

Here they are.

Easy to grab, light in the back if I need while cooking etc, or read maps, or whatever.

I've added some sun screens etc to the car.

Then there are the two compartments towards the seats.

As seen, there are fasteners there for the cargo net. These two compartments are intended to store things I don't need normally, like tools. One compartment is for tools and such things. As of now I have one free compartment, that I might turn into a water container.

As seen on the first picture, I got a GordiGear RTT. I don't have the "bottom tent" to attach to the underside, so I utilized the attachment "tube" on the underside for a home made attachment.

Basically a skirt with strengthened holes. I've gotten to use it for a lot more than I had ever planned.

Quick lunch this summer.

And full camp

And here is the result of car vs deer. It's getting fixed, finally. All parts are ready this week!

This is my first build of this kind, so there is room for improvements. Also some small details not all finished up yet. All in all I'm pretty happy with this setup. I've gotten to travel a fair bit this season. It's enjoyable having this little thing kitted up, and ready to go. The car itself is in pretty decent shape. I won't take it around the world, but for what I do these days it's perfect. It's my little donkey.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2018 13:40 by TaterTot. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Aug 2018 02:23 #195314 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My RTT Jimny
That's cool!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaterTot

More
21 Aug 2018 07:33 #195317 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic My RTT Jimny
Another forum member "1066boy" does a bit of wild camping, this looks like a great set up and you get to use it around some beautiful scenery...

sniper

• TaterTot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 08:23 #195318 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic My RTT Jimny
This I can confirm. Been some fantastic views this summer. And a lot of people that come over to look at the little donkey.

Looked at 1066boy posts, he does wild camping. I got that gear permanently in my car, as I enjoy that too. Thanks for mentioning :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 08:50 #195320 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My RTT Jimny
Great set up
Is the roof tent mounted to the standard roof rails or custom brackets?

• TaterTot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 09:51 #195322 by TaterTot
Yes, it's all just standard. The tent-side rails are just a tad wide for the the particular roof rails I have. We are talking mm here. The "feet" for the rails, that attach to the roof rails, are angled a bit inwards. So to make it fit well, without damaging the "feet", I had to in-lay a few steel plates between the rail bar, and the bottom of the tent bracket.

That said, I plan to ad another set of rails, so I get 4 bars, not 2. One reason is to spread the weight, and help stiffen up the tent floor. Another is that I want to use 2 of the bars for a small table outside the head end of the tent.

This view, with a cup of brew right outside the tent, on a small table, would be a pretty sweet morning.

And I have the table surface in the car already, just use one of those drawer boards.
Attachments:

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 15:54 #195328 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic My RTT Jimny
Excellent build :) . If i recall correctly the maximum load on the standard roofbars is 35kg due to the plastic brackets holding them to the roof, so it could be worth modifying them to avoid losing the rooftent (in a worse case scenario ).

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 18:27 #195337 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My RTT Jimny
Yeah I think some custom brackets would be a good investment and the mentioned four bars across , great set up :)

• TaterTot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 19:04 #195339 by TaterTot
I really appreciate the info wombat. I had heard about them being plastic before. I just didn't believe it, as mine are metal. I had to go and check to make sure. I'm the 5th owner of the car, and I know it has had things up there before, and it has been heavy. Some solid clamps that have been on there. And I know they are metal, because some of the paint has come off.

Still, awesome info wombat :)

Daniel30. Yeah, it really is something I want. It's either that, or a roof rack I found, that is basically a frame to place the RTT on, but it has a small "balcony" to place fuel cans. It would be a great solution if I wanted to make the car properly top heavy. Hit a round-about a bit fast, and end up as front page news.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2018 19:35 #195390 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic My RTT Jimny
Looking good mate. I am a bit more of the travel light group but sometimes mount my tarp off the back of Jim-Bob. :)

Attachments:

• TaterTot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 10:06 #195406 by TaterTot
That's a pretty sweet light weight setup. I do have a tarp, that I attach in much the same way.

That garage you have there, I'm jealous!

Right now, I'm working on plans for my next build. A lot more details etc.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 20:58 #195415 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic My RTT Jimny
Not my garage but one of the warehouses at work. I have the keys so can use it when i need to. :)

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds