BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

As Stock as they Come

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 13:24 #6470 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
I'm a heathen - I used a paint brush!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2010 13:37 #6472 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: As Stock as they Come

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 14:20 #6473 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
ahh, no laquer then lol!

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 16:22 #6480 by lukeyblunt
Replied by lukeyblunt on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
Ah okay. I see. Very informative. Thanks again ! :)
so.. Literally just a few coats of hammerite black enamel. Super!

• jon_hgv
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 16:28 #6481 by jon_hgv
Replied by jon_hgv on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
Dont laquer them, just put 3 coats of hammerite on them and use a hair dryer inbetween coats in this weather

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 20:12 #6503 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
not black but before and after

Attachments:

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2010 20:14 #6504 by lukeyblunt
Ahh Great! Thanks! Awesome colour. and looks to be a decent finish for a brush!! nicely done. I'm hoping to have mine done by next weekend.
Thanks again :)

More
27 Nov 2010 09:37 #6563 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
Hi there and welcome!

Well done for not following the boy racer brigade! You'll be able to impress your mates and the girls with where you can drive rather than how fast and how quickly you can lose your licence or die! Just don't try to keep up with their sports hatches in a Jimny or you will crash!

I wish I had got into off-roading when I was your age! I considered getting an SJ but then worried the 4wd would be too expensive to fix and too complicated for me to fix with no mechanical knowledge then.

I so wish I had got one and started off roading then as now I'd have so much kit and experience and wouldn't have wasted so much money on so much crap. Lowering a 1.2 Nova for example. It ain't fast and was never gonna be!

As others have said, small bits over time will make a great truck.

How about some standard ish size - maybe 195-80/15 mud tyres and a cb and front spot lights as a starting point. Join a club and start to greenlaning with them.

Give us piccies each stage though, we like piccies!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: lukeyblunt

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2010 10:21 #6569 by lukeyblunt
Haha ! Thanks very much :) I love feedback like that. I've asked for primer and black hammerite for Christmas. I think spotlights may be pushing it for the time being. Not sure the parents are so keen on me drilling through the bumper ! And the CB.. My dad said 'after a while- having friends calling code through my CB is the last distraction I'd want!' but like people have said: all in good time.
I will definitley post pictures! Also I'm a very keen photographer and will hopefully get a series of laning trips- as I have a couple friends with landrovers. But obviously we need a jimny in there somewhere !!
My dad had an SJ one summer, but that was before I was so interested.
A friend, however, has just bought a premodified 1.1 pug 206. The 17" rims won't even steer!

Thanks again for the feedback ! Very helpful and encouraging. :)

More
27 Nov 2010 12:59 #6579 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
I can see your Dad's point of view on the CB thing as you'll need all your concentration when you first start driving. A CB can be a distraction in the same way as a mobile phone if you allow it but it's still legal to use. If you crashed because you were muching about trying to pick up the handset you could get prosecuted for "failing to maintain proper control of a vehicle" - so they'd get you one way or another.

Maybe just get one but only have it swtiched on whilst on a green lane?

In respect of the lights - pop them up on a roof bar - they are cheap enough on ebay these days and then you'll not need to drill into the bodywork.

I can see you like your photography, I have an interest in it but you seem better than me - have you got some expensive lenses?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2010 14:53 #6583 by lukeyblunt
I've had a look into putting lights on the roof bar.. But they seem to mount quite high and really far back .. Almost half way down the top of the roof. I considered one large lamp on either side of the 'Suzuki' badge.- inbetween the headlights. I got shooting with some friends and I just wanted some extra 'rabbit dazzling' power !!

My auntie gave me an old 'cobra marine' Cb radio from her boat. but she literally just snipped wires and ripped it out. It'll need some work.. And a mic. Do you think that'd do the job? Seeing as it's specifically for boats ? (it's waterproof so I can take my
jimmy swimming!)

I have a few lenses for my camera.. The fisheye one- which was used in a few on the photos I posed- with the rounded edge. And a 300mm as I used to be into aviation photography.
Expensive ? Naahh. eBay :)
www.flickr.com/photos/lukeblunt
have a gander at some of my shots if you like !!
Thanks again ! :)

More
27 Nov 2010 14:58 #6585 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: As Stock as they Come
Sorry - bad news.

The Boat radio is for boats and operates on 150Mhz+

CB radios operate on 27Mhz

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds