BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Light Bar vs Driving Lights

• Steveolkinevel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2016 20:06 #164317 by Steveolkinevel
Replied by Steveolkinevel on topic Light Bar vs Driving Lights

Jezz wrote: Please don't think i'm being rude, But could you point me to a link or official dvsa type ect website were this is in black and white.

Thank you Jez

X2

I was being blinded by a car the other night with its main beams on and as you do retaliated with my main beam which happens to have a 34" light bar attached to it on the roof, bing police car, he dipped his lights as did i and he carried on his way, it honestly wouldn't suprise me if they were illegal but I can't see why they would be, as your main beam isn't tested for pattern or wattage in mot test, only if it works, also for example l200 pickups etc have driving lights mounted on rear of cab, not i front of axel.
?????? It will be some PC A hole that's thought up a law like this. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 19:40 - 25 Mar 2016 19:44 #164353 by Rhinoman

Jezz wrote: Please don't think i'm being rude, But could you point me to a link or official dvsa type ect website were this is in black and white.
Thank you Jez

No problem:

www.legislation.gov.uk

There are a number of different categories of lights but, leaving aside marker lights a forward facing light is considered a headlight. The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 states:

10. Electrical connections–
(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom–
(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or
(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either–
.(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or
(B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.
.(b) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

regulations are an interpretation of the law, in this case the Road Traffic Act and Construction and Use Acts apply. Like most laws its a bit of a trawl to find the right info. I'm pretty sure that C&U still states that auxiliary lights must be fitted in pairs which would rule out most light bars.
Fortunately (or not) the laws have been relaxed a lot since I was a teenager.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 19:44 by Rhinoman.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2016 20:38 #164357 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: Light Bar vs Driving Lights

Rhinoman wrote:

Thank you Jez

No problem:

www.legislation.gov.uk

There are a number of different categories of lights but, leaving aside marker lights a forward facing light is considered a headlight. The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 states:

10. Electrical connections–
(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom–
(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or
(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either–
.(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or
(B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.
.(b) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

regulations are an interpretation of the law, in this case the Road Traffic Act and Construction and Use Acts apply. Like most laws its a bit of a trawl to find the right info. I'm pretty sure that C&U still states that auxiliary lights must be fitted in pairs which would rule out most light bars.
Fortunately (or not) the laws have been relaxed a lot since I was a teenager.

You could argue that due to the length of a light bar it doesn't need to be mounted as a pair as long as it's symmetrically centrally mounted and goes on and off with the main beam.

• Steveolkinevel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2016 20:57 #164359 by Steveolkinevel
Replied by Steveolkinevel on topic Light Bar vs Driving Lights
My light bar has 2 rows of LEDs...... Does that count :P

More
25 Mar 2016 22:44 #164363 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Light Bar vs Driving Lights

9800shane wrote: New into the Jimny scene and I am currently adding all the extra's on to my new Jimny.

I do even amount of road and offroad driving so I am after a lighting solution and I could swing either way.

I have narrowed it down now to which is going to look better on my bullbar.

Let's post up some pics or your lighting setup??

I would be looking at a 20" light bar or LED driving lights.

JimnyBits Ligtbar on mine -

Throws daylight when needed -

Dave B)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2016 00:10 #164369 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Light Bar vs Driving Lights
Not a jimny but a few LEDs on my sons jku

Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2016 11:32 - 27 Mar 2016 11:34 #164425 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Light Bar vs Driving Lights
Mine. Wired into the main beam. And after reading the above, I see no reason for it to be as stated illegal other than it made not be type approved.

File Attachment:

It's been fettled just a tad.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 11:34 by Jezz. Reason: Spelling

More
27 Mar 2016 18:08 #164455 by Rhinoman
C&U references the EU directives and 76/756/EEC states that headlights are mandatory 'number: two or four', it also states that they must be mounted forward of the front axle. It doesn't, however, specifically state that any additional lights are counted as main-beam headlights - either that is 'guidance' or comes from another directive, I'm sure there are a few more lurking about plus amendments.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds