BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tyre pressure question please

More
05 Jul 2009 17:28 #936 by Liz
Hi folks,

Just a quick question about tyre pressures. As you know I've had my Jimny 'Buster' for about 6 weeks now and being female (sorry ladies) I only just got around to checking the tyre pressure!

They all seem to be 30! Which isn't what it says on that plate inside the car on the door pillar. Unladen - which is what he is at the moment - the front is supposed to be 23 and the rear 29!

So what pressure do you folks use for road use only and should I be worried that mine is high? I did look on the tyre itself and that says max pressure 44 so I'm not worried about a blowout but just wanted your expert opinion.

Thanks folks,

Liz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2009 19:03 #939 by mlines
Garages and tyre depots always seem to inflate them to any old pressure. The hight pressure gives a frimer ride and a tendency to have less grip. I use just over 20PSI all around but then I do have off-road tyres

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
06 Jul 2009 07:56 #941 by Jamie
Just to eccho Martin's comments i run mine around 20psi but we run larger
than standard tyres.

Manufacturers reccomendations are your best bet stick with what they say

Jamie

More
06 Jul 2009 15:12 #946 by Liz
Thanks Martin and Jamie. I've still got standard tyres so I'll drop the pressure next time I've got the footpump out.

Cheers,

Liz

More
06 Jul 2009 16:34 #947 by Jamie
Hi Liz,

Do yourself a favour and buy a proper digital tyre pressure gauge
the footpump's are very in-accurate.

Garage forecourts are rubbish too best bet is a proper gauge.

Jamie

More
08 Jul 2009 04:10 #961 by kirkynut
I have found about 25 to be a good compromise. I found much lower made the vehicle struggle unnecessarily as the rolling resistance increased on the road and much more makes them too high and loses grip where they swell in the centre of the tread leaving less in contact.

Tesco's sell a cheap digital pressure gauge and I have found it very accurate. At work we have regularly calibrated machines like those at petrol stations and my Tesco digital gauge always reads the same, as does my slightly more expensive but still cheap Halfords one.

I have found the petrol station ones wildly innaccurate and this is probably as they never get calibrated from the day they are fitted, if they are even done then!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Jul 2009 08:15 #981 by bazwidajimny
20 psi thats a pit low for the road guys iv run 235 and 31s on mine and for the road i put 30 psi rear and 32 psi front for weight ov engine to mutch on the rear it will spin on wet roads i found 20 25 psi was wearing tyers out to quick and made the jeep roll around on the road and made it under powered drag on long hills if u find your jeep a pit slow on big tyers pump em up B) to mutch psi is bad you will lose grip on the road and wont stop as good id say 38psi the max

More
10 Jul 2009 20:29 #990 by Liz
Thanks folks :)

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds