× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 3 Boot Rust

More
09 Jul 2024 10:08 - 10 Jul 2024 21:39 #256700 by danjonesy
Gen 3 Boot Rust was created by danjonesy
Hello all!

I bought a suzuki Jimny about 3 months ago - 2002, 90k miles. Runs really well and I absolutely love it. I somewhat recently put in some speakers in the rear where the factory holes go and during the process, you have to remove the rear seats. I used this as an opportunity to check and take a picture of the rust in the boot section. There is a bit of dirt in here (I cleaned it after the photo was taken but forgot to retake a photo before i put it back together) but I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on the rust spots? The previous owner said that they welded part of the rear of the boot (I assume where the wheel jack goes) but I can see a couple of rust spots near-ish the seatbelt anchors. 

What I am trying to deduce is, will this rust cause any problems for safety, and if I need to get the rust spots removed and welded? Or if the rust won’t cause any affect to safety so therefore it isn’t of concern yet?

Photo

https:// www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/03bUAoR2PrR4ye2q8y8jOGXyQ#Jimny_Boot

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Dan

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2024 21:39 by danjonesy. Reason: Added photo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2024 15:43 - 09 Jul 2024 15:45 #256701 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
The picture is not visible.
Might be for Apple users but closed as is now.

Pictures can be up loaded to this site, use the full editor, press attachments, add file, insert.

Hope I can find a better explanation to link here :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2024 15:45 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: danjonesy

More
10 Jul 2024 21:40 #256728 by danjonesy
Replied by danjonesy on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
Hi mate, thank you for letting me know - I’ve attached it using your instructions - let me know what you think if you wouldn’t mind :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jul 2024 03:25 #256731 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
It's not the worst I have ever seen but I would be looking at getting it dealt with if it were mine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Jul 2024 05:58 #256734 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
While it's still quite small patches with seemingly good metal around it is the best time to deal with it. Wire wheel on a drill will clean it up and if it doesn't make a hole then you're laughing, just a paint job. If it does then it needs patching

More
11 Jul 2024 06:35 #256735 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
Treat with a rust inhibitor before painting with ordinary car paint, unless you use a paint with rust inhibitor built in.

They generally rust from the inside, but check the outside as well.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 Jul 2024 21:07 #256748 by danjonesy
I agree - think I’m going to get it dealt with. Best not to run from rust!

More
11 Jul 2024 21:09 #256749 by danjonesy
Cheers Robin, I had a service done recently and the mechanic said the rust externally was good for the age, so just hoping it’s a couple of spots that are bad!

More
11 Jul 2024 21:10 #256750 by danjonesy
Agreed - I’m going to speak to someone about getting it patched. It’s a steep learning curve owning a Jimny! Loving it though

More
12 Jul 2024 06:03 #256752 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
If you think it's steep now, just give it a few years and you'll have taught yourself to weld these patches yourself, and jimny ownership becomes even more 'rewarding' ;-)

More
12 Jul 2024 19:31 #256760 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic Gen 3 Boot Rust
As it's all hidden by carpet or seats, I cleaned ours back to bare metal and slopped grey Rust-Anode zinc paint onto it.  It works well but many top coats don't take to it.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds