× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Radio issues , locking issues, and then not starting. Driving me mad

More
25 Apr 2024 18:43 #255777 by robs5230
Its one thing after another with this Jimny

When its working well, its a pleasure to drive.

Since getting it, it has had issues with the radio apparently losing code and requesting the code, which I have.

Now its recently started playing up when driving, the display showing some kind of hyroglyphics. When its like this, it doesn't respond to any of the buttons, not even on and off.
Then the display has also been going blank, yet still playing cds.

The car has also started to lock it self rather quickly while getting things out of the boot. Only say 15-20 seconds after being unlocked

Just been out after work, and I have a non start
Battery is good, but theres an orange car symbol with a padlock through it, steady orange. Not flashing.
Will not turn over at all.
Got a push to try a bump start and it started instantly. When running the padlock light is off. 

I'd imagine all the above are connected related, but short of pulling all the fuses out for the radio, door locking etc, I'm at a complete loss.

Any ideas? Pretty desperate
Thanks Rob

standard jimny - for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2024 19:32 - 25 Apr 2024 19:32 #255778 by DrRobin
The padlock symbol is the immobiliser, if that was on I am surprised it ran, I thought the immobiliser cut the fuel and spark.

Are you sure the battery is good? All of these problems sound a bit like a weak electrical system. If it’s not the battery, do you have a bad connection on a power cable?

One other thought, has it got excessively wet inside or you haven’t had a mouse in, they chew the insulation on the wires and you get some very strange things.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 25 Apr 2024 19:32 by DrRobin.

More
25 Apr 2024 23:18 #255781 by robs5230
Hi.
Thanks for the input.
Battery tests at 12.6v and shows a green light.

It definitely bump started and drove home, despite the light.

Mice, I have no idea, but if I have mice, they're well travelled. I do about 150-200 miles a week.

There is a faint clicking when I trigger the key, but not like the starter is struggling .
I'll look at the starter connections tomorrow

Cheers

standard jimny - for now

More
26 Apr 2024 07:41 #255782 by robs5230
In a fit of common sense, I've had a look at the warning light section of the owners manual

It states the immobiliser light comes on when the key is activated to the ignition position, before the final turn to engage the starter
Solid light (which I have), is just showing its working

Flashing immobiliser light, indicates problem with immobiliser

Could I simply just have a starter motor or relay issue?
I can hear a very light clicking when I attempt to start

Thanks

standard jimny - for now

More
26 Apr 2024 08:16 #255783 by DrRobin
Re immobiliser light, well spotted. Of course we don’t often notice that as normally the key is turned fairly quickly to start the engine.

It could be something to do with the starter motor or solenoid, it it has one.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
26 Apr 2024 08:49 #255784 by robs5230
You're going to love this.

Disconnected the battery a couple of hours ago.

Then decided as the factory radio was toast, I;d just unplug it to stop the electrical gremlins.
Had it out, removed the plug from the rear and put it all back, just to look right.
Re connected the battery, and it started first spin.
Bit fuelly smelling for about 20 seconds, presumably as all the attempts to start, have caused the fuel pump to over prime a little, then everything normal.
Took if for a short run, stopped on a couple of hill is case it needed a bump, and it started perfectly both times.

For now, I'll leave it and see how it it. I'd assume I'm being a bit optimistic thinking the radio could be causing starting issues, but at least its one factor eliminated now.
Any more issues, I'll fit another starter

Cheers

standard jimny - for now

More
26 Apr 2024 09:29 #255785 by yakuza
I had lots of problems like this. Had a mishap and let some of the smoke inside the ecu out once and some of the smoke inside the dash cluster too.
As we all know, when the smoke gets out fo the electronics, it stops working.

most likely missing some grounding in or around the ecu or the cluster so had to have something connected to the OBD port to make it run nice. after changing the cluster it all works fine.

When faulty I had to reprogram the key immo code from time to time and lots of other faults.

Could be that the stereo shorts something..
The original radio is pretty bad anyways so I would see it as a bonus that you will have to change it. I got a used head unit for cheaps, these audio car stereo fanatics swaps stuff all the time making good items for sale for me to buy,.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robs5230

More
26 Apr 2024 12:58 #255786 by DrRobin
Either the radio is drawing a lot of current and dropping the voltage somewhere on that circuit or you have a bad connection and the normal current drawn by the radio causes the voltage to drop to the ECU or other devices.

The strange thing with the radio display suggested under-voltage, so perhaps it is a bad joint as normally something taking excessive current will blow the fuse.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: robs5230

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds