BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine Oil Leak after belts snaped

More
30 Nov 2023 15:41 #252502 by Pete
Hi,

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

TL;DR: Engine oil leaking on to belts, after overheating the engine, where to start? crankshaft seal?

The belts came off, I made it home after a mile, engine temp didn't seem too bad. But after replacing the belts and a new radiator hose, I started to notice a lot of oil leaking on the belts. From somewhere under the top radiator hose, but I can't be sure.

One post on here with a similar leak mentioned it the crankshaft seal gone. Could it be that, or anything else?

What else should I check after the belts broken? :(

Rocky | 2004 Gen3 M13a
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2023 18:23 #252516 by jackonlyjack
did the belts tare apart or just fall off
cause could be de lamination of the crank pulley 
oil leak i would say de grease front of engine 
then run it and keep checking to find the source 

More
01 Dec 2023 13:39 #252541 by Pete
The belts where completely shredded.

I'll clean it up again, and take a closer look at the crank pulley.

Rocky | 2004 Gen3 M13a

More
01 Dec 2023 15:53 #252544 by facade
Have a look for a hole in the front cover where the edge of the pulley has hit it.

The belt is covered with oil. either the crank seal has let go big time and oil is running down the pulley, ( which is unusual, unless the shredded belts have got into the seal and damaged it) or the pulley has been vibrating into the front cover and cracked it or worn a hole.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
01 Dec 2023 20:51 #252562 by Pete
I'll take the radiator out and have a look. I'll post back here what I find.
I vaguely remember pulling bits of old belt out from the crankshaft pulley.

Rocky | 2004 Gen3 M13a

More
07 Mar 2024 14:47 #254886 by Pete
So seems it was the front crankshaft oil seal. Replaced it and no more leaking oil. There was a lot of the belt inside the middle of the crankshaft pulley. Gave that all a clean.

Someone's advice on here (DrRobbin/Lambert maybe) recommended using the old seal and a block of wood to get the new one in was spot on. Thanks whoever said that at some point in another thread.

All of these bits of belt came out of the pulley

Rocky | 2004 Gen3 M13a
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds