BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

error 403 EGR

More
23 Nov 2023 22:38 #252337 by MysterG
error 403 EGR was created by MysterG
Had a engine light come on today after about 5 miles.
Code reader shows a 403 something about EGR
Cleared code, light went off and almost immediately back on.

2005 VVT

Is it most likely to be the EGR valve itself or possibly the wiring etc?
Are there any tests I can do before struggling to remove it ... seems that is not easy to access given what my search has thrown up.

Can I safely continue to drive it or am I going to cause damage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2023 08:34 #252412 by MysterG
Replied by MysterG on topic error 403 EGR
Oh well.
Going to try and remove it today and see what I can see.

Don't relish having to replace it. New part is not exactly cheap!!!

More
27 Nov 2023 11:59 #252416 by MysterG
Well that's 3 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

Got the valve off along with the pipe connecting it to the inlet.

Does not appear to be particularly filthy but I clean it anyway. Pipe is clear.
Refitted and no difference. Clear the 403 code and it comes straight back.

Is swapping it the only option? Can you test the valve off the car?

More
27 Nov 2023 13:21 #252417 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic error 403 EGR
403 code suggests the EGR  control circuit is at fault, open or short circuit. So look for damage wires or connectors associated with this circuit, but being realistic it's more likely the ERG valve solenoid has failed.
It should be possible to test, both the connector on the harness (supply etc) and the ERG solenoid for impedance and actual movement of the valve with 12vdc applied. What I don't have to hand at the moment is the circuit diagrams or impedance values etc, I'll try and look later. In the mean time if anyone knows chip in.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG

More
27 Nov 2023 14:19 #252418 by MysterG
Thanks for that.
After a further hunt round I found a bit in the manual about testing resistance across the 6 pins in the connector.

Whipped mine off again, amazing how much quicker it is the 2nd time!!
On testing 3 pairs show 22ish, but F-E show 8ish.

So replacement valve it is I guess 

Do I trust a £60 one from china or 3-4 hundred on a named brand??? Hmmmm.

Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2023 18:21 #252421 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic error 403 EGR
Good find re info, yes F-E don't look correct, so likely that portion of the coil has failed.
Being able to return the part easily in the event it don't fit or fails is a factor to consider, then price. If you can find a good supplier of the cheaper unit it's got to be worth a go. 
Good luck, hope it fixes the issue.
M

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
28 Nov 2023 21:07 #252443 by MysterG
Well a 60 quid replacement arrived today. Not had chance to fit it yet but thought I'd check the resistances just to see.

All pairs 13 so all the same but all out of spec .... I'll probably sling it on anyway and see if the error clears, but I'm not holding my breath...

More
29 Nov 2023 11:37 #252458 by MysterG
Well fingers crossed this is my last update in this thread.
Put the replacement on, an awful lot of hassle as I managed (god knows how) to get the most difficult to get at bolt cross threaded which meant it took a couple of hours rather than some minutes.

But, I cleared the outstanding code, started her up and no reappearance of the engine light this time. So out of spec resistance wise or not it seems to work.

Of course the next question is for how long .....

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds