BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How many cells are in a stock catalyst?

More
19 Sep 2023 17:13 #250897 by Vandoni
I have a gen 3 Jimny with the 1.3 gasoline engine, how many cells is the stock cat? 
I want to replace it with a sportier one because the stock one choked the engine too much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2023 19:10 #250902 by DrRobin
The Jimny has two CATs one in the manifold pipe and one under the car. Most ‘sports exhausts’ decat the system but that may not be road legal where you are.

I am not sure how much you will gain by a decat, possibly not very much. The front cat is known to break up and block the main cat when it is old, so a new standard exhaust might be just as good as a sports exhaust.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Sep 2023 19:13 #250903 by Vandoni
it has 2? mine is a 2000 model, in the manual it says it only has one, but anyway, i'm asking this because i already removed the middle cat and right now i want to get a sporty cat to be able to pass emissions and make the car a little less noisy, since i also threw away the muffler that was full of holes and put a sport bike muffler in place of it

More
20 Sep 2023 11:10 - 20 Sep 2023 11:20 #250910 by yakuza
it varies between markets and local emission regulations if it has the two cat setup with the heated two stage systems or a single one or even none.

I got just the one in line now and empty box at the manifold and still luckily passes emissions test, but sometimes give an engine fault code i delete ever so often. I bought an aftermarket generic cat of roughly the same size spec for 2l engines.

Edit: Mine probably being too big might make it run too cold and thus setting off the fault codes.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2023 11:20 by yakuza.

More
20 Sep 2023 14:30 #250917 by Scimike

Edit: Mine probably being too big might make it run too cold and thus setting off the fault codes.

Have you tried wrapping the exhaust up to the cat to keep the heat in?
Had need to do this on our MR2 to keep the emission tester happy, appears to have worked for me.

In the spirit of Vandoni's original post, just in case no one knows the cell count, what alternative "off the shelf" under floor CAT or exhaust pipes exist?

The market (UK) is full of the BM Exhaust offering which I have fitted on ours, buts its just started to blow, so anything else out there other than the stock Suzuki and BM?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Sep 2023 10:07 #250940 by yakuza

Have you tried wrapping the exhaust up to the cat to keep the heat in?
Had need to do this on our MR2 to keep the emission tester happy, appears to have worked for me.

haha well I actually did the opposite and replaced the original insulated pipe from the manifold and down for a wider non-insulated one.
I think you found it, thanks! :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds