BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Imprecise steering

More
13 Sep 2023 21:09 #250794 by mackleinton
Hello,

Does anyone else is having imprecise steering after upgrading the tyres? 

I installed at 50,000km (now arround 75,000km) 215/75R15 Pirelli Skorpion and after that the seering wheel "centers" slightly to the right (2-3 degrees), the car tends to go to the right and I have to constantly correct the direction. Is there anyone with the same issue? The official shop says it's a common problem and I'll have to deal with it.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2023 22:03 - 13 Sep 2023 22:09 #250798 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Imprecise steering
Are the tyres directional or asymmetrical?
Have a look to see if "outer" or "inner" is embossed on the tyre and that outer is in fact facing out! Also see if any rotation arrows exist and they are the correct direction. Tyre pressure, also check these are about 23 front / 26 rear PSI, they tend to get over inflated by tyre shops.
After that I have never seen any comments that suggests the vehicle pulls after a tyre change unless something else is wrong. Kingpins, track rods, extreme suspension lift etc. On a Jimny it's not common, but if you have changed more than just the tyres it's possible.
I assume all was ok before?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Sep 2023 22:09 by Scimike.

More
14 Sep 2023 08:36 #250804 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Imprecise steering
Also try rotating the tyres front to rear and/or left to right.
If nothing changes it is not so likely it is the tyres.

Also check for play in the steering box. Can be carefully tightened with the bolt on top of it, loosen the nut while holding the screw in position. Tighten the screw a little bit like 15-20 degrees and tighten the nut again while holding the screw in position. Too much tightening is not safe, must be just right.

Gen 3 or 4 this?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
14 Sep 2023 09:39 #250806 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Imprecise steering

Also try rotating the tyres front to rear and/or left to right.
If nothing changes it is not so likely it is the tyres.

Also check for play in the steering box. Can be carefully tightened with the bolt on top of it, loosen the nut while holding the screw in position. Tighten the screw a little bit like 15-20 degrees and tighten the nut again while holding the screw in position. Too much tightening is not safe, must be just right.

Gen 3 or 4 this?
From a previous post, I see that Makleinton has a Gen 4. The Gen 4 has electric power steering. Take it to Suzuki and have them recentre the power steering.

More
14 Sep 2023 09:59 #250808 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Imprecise steering
Check the drop pitman arm is parallel with chassis wheels straight 
If not you can undue the front drag link bar and rotate 
This will turn steering wheel and not effect tracking 
Front wheels need to be on the floor 

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds