BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Using a trolley jack

More
05 Mar 2023 08:36 - 05 Mar 2023 08:37 #247896 by JAGtheman
I frequently jack the jimny to take off the wheels to fiddle, clean etc. I use a scissor jack and axle stands one side at a time. I often see video and images of the jimny being jacked using a hydraulic trolley jack under the front or rear diff lifting both wheels off the ground simultaneously. Sometimes a piece of wood is placed on the small round pressure plate other times not. Considering that we now have around half a ton of jimny resting on a contact point that is very small, the concentrated forces / stress must be enormous. 

My questions: what are the chances of the diff cracking when doing this and is the use of a trolley jack recommended?

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Last edit: 05 Mar 2023 08:37 by JAGtheman. Reason: cant spell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2023 09:35 #247897 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Using a trolley jack
I use a trolley jack most of the time, but only jack one side at once, usually under a radius arm. Mind if it is more than a quick job I put an axle stand underneath as well.

If you want both wheels off you could jack one side, put an axle stand in, then jack the other side.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2023 10:25 #247899 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Using a trolley jack
Plenty of people do jack the diff but like Robin I only lift on the radius arms. Mostly because there's the little nubbin the scissor lift locates to to help minimise the risk of the jack slipping.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Mar 2023 14:16 #247901 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Using a trolley jack
Thanks to you both - you have confirmed that what I am doing, whilst not the fastest, is the correct way. I use the radius arm and fit the little stud into the scissor jack as show in the manual. I always place the vehicle onto axle stands and when the wheels are removed, place them under the vehicle. Chock the wheels on the ground too. I hired a lift in Kent (I am in Huntingdon when I am in the UK) and that was absolutely the best. Pity there is not such a facility closer to me or I would use it very frequently!

Thanks again to both of you!

Julian

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

More
05 Mar 2023 14:59 #247903 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Using a trolley jack
The chance of the diff cracking or being damaged in anyway is zero. They are the strongest part of the car, and 500kg is a tiny load. You can also safely use a trolley jack under the radius arm mounts, any point on the chassis and the towbar if you have one fitted.

More
05 Mar 2023 16:11 #247904 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Using a trolley jack
You won't hurt the diff. However It's generally safer to jack one side at a time.

More
05 Mar 2023 17:23 #247906 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Re:Using a trolley jack
We use this

Jimny 2003, and 2013

More
05 Mar 2023 18:15 #247910 by Roger Fairclough
I use a purpose made beam that mounts centrally on my trolley jack and lifts the axles just inboard of the spring mounts. Benefits are the axle is level and so both brakes are available at the same time. I still use axle stands under the chassis rails and wheel chocks. In my opinion a scissor jack should only be used in a roadside wheel change.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

More
06 Mar 2023 00:52 - 06 Mar 2023 14:23 #247917 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Using a trolley jack

My questions: what are the chances of the diff cracking when doing this and is the use of a trolley jack recommended?

Slim to non-existent - check your owner's manual it should show you were to place the trolley jack

The diagram above is taken from the FSM for a gen 3 Jimny
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2023 14:23 by fordem. Reason: add source detail

More
07 Mar 2023 07:57 #247940 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Using a trolley jack
Really interesting discussion - Rogers purpose made beams would be the solution that I would think best for "home" repairs. I detest a scissor jack and actually find it a pain to use. I think it should be stamped "for emergency use only"! (sic).

I don't have a workshop manual - I guess it is time for me to invest. I research anything on youtube, see how others have done it then (cautiously?!) progress. Sometimes with unexpected hiccups (see my headlight experience...)

Thanks again, I have certainly learnt from this thread.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

More
07 Mar 2023 08:48 #247942 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Using a trolley jack
When lifting directly under the differential, even though it's offset to one side, you will find the car lifts very close to level. I do this, then stick axle stands under the ends of the axle or radius arms (depending what I need to access) and lower it down so both sides are supported and level.

More
08 Mar 2023 18:51 #247982 by jackonlyjack
I use trolley jack sometimes 2 at same time (under radius arms)
hi-lift jack depending on job at hand
bottle jack for tyre change 
I always use axle stands even have a foldable one in car 

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds