BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stiffer springs than stock = better???

More
28 Feb 2023 23:17 #247798 by Vandoni
i was thinking about getting stiffer springs, since my jimny tends to sway a lot during turns and i'd also like to make it a little more suitable for small jumps and better to take turns on tarmac, any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2023 23:36 - 28 Feb 2023 23:58 #247799 by Vandoni
also, talking about springs, i'd like to change valve springs, would stiffer ones be more suitable for high RPM use? not too stiff, just stiff enough to be able to withstand 7000 RPM without an issue, obviously i'll slowly upgrade the rest of the internals to be able to use those RPMs before actually doing it.
what are some good makes?
also, do you guys know about the max safe RPMs the non-VVT M13A can be pushed to? i say safe as in "not that noticeable" engine life span reduction or increase in problems. I sometimes rev it to the hard redline but normally change at 6000 if i'm training on dirt or doing pulls to hear the engine roar
Last edit: 28 Feb 2023 23:58 by Vandoni.

More
01 Mar 2023 01:05 #247800 by fordem

i was thinking about getting stiffer springs, since my jimny tends to sway a lot during turns and i'd also like to make it a little more suitable for small jumps and better to take turns on tarmac, any advice?

You need to take a holistic approach to handling, springs are only one part of the "package", tell us about the vehicle, and what has been done to it, is it stock or has it been lifted/lowered? are you running OEM sized tires?  what condition is the suspension in?  how many miles on the shocks?

An important consideration is how the vehicle is going to be used - setting it up for tarmac use is decidedly different to setting it up for "off road" usage.

It's important to bear in mind that a Jimny will not, and was never intended to, handle like a sports car, it's a tall, narrow, top heavy, body on frame, 4WD sitting on live axles.

Stiffer springs will reduce body roll in a turn, but at the expense of ride comfort - replacing worn shocks and stabilizer bar hardware can significantly reduce body roll without negatively impacting ride quality.  Taller tires also impact vehicle sway, switching to a lower profile tire will reduce sidewall squirm

More
01 Mar 2023 01:11 #247801 by Vandoni
yeah, you're right, i didn't include what has been done to the car, even though it's not much.
i replaced the dampers with monotube reinforced ones, made by a company that specializes in offroad use, they're almost new, they have less than 3000 kms but they've been used roughly, i go fast offroad, on gravel and dirt and do little jumps and hit holes pretty hard, even though i try to shift the weight of the car to soften the blow. i want to put stiffer springs to avoid bottoming out the suspension because of the holes and for the body roll.
the car has stock 15" rims and 205 all terrain toyo tyres which i keep inflated at the pressure specified in the manual, or just a little less to improve grip a little bit (obviously at the expense of response), it isn't lifted nor lowered and generally has mild mods.
i don't care about ride comfort as much as making it a little more stable.

also what about the valve springs? any advice in that regard?

More
01 Mar 2023 01:40 #247802 by fordem
And are these "monotube reinforced" shocks correctly valved for the Jimny?

More
01 Mar 2023 02:06 #247803 by Vandoni
Yes they should be valved correctly, they were made for my model and by a trusted company where I live.
To be fair, I don't have a lot of experience working on cars, so I follow the advice my mechanic gives me, he races in his youth and won some minor championships here in Italy, and loves my Jimny so he offered to help me when he can.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Mar 2023 05:02 #247804 by Lambert
The diesel engine version of the Jimny have a thicker anti roll bar which will help you with cornering whilst preserving compliance for gravel surfaces.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Mar 2023 12:37 #247809 by Roger Fairclough
The valve springs supplied as standard will be suitable for the maximum revs. that Suzuki have designed the engine to achieve and there is no point in exceeding them. The consequences of "going that little bit further" will be accelerated wear and , ultimately, catastrophic failure.

Roger

More
01 Mar 2023 13:31 #247811 by DrRobin
Most engines reach peak power before peak rpm. Power is limited by the problem of getting the fuel/air in and the exhaust out, so along with stronger con-rods, valve springs, high lift cams, etc you might also be looking at inlet and exhaust manifolds as well as a high flow air induction system, it's all going to start adding up.

Then the other problem is gears, most high reving engines have a narrow power band, that means more than 5 gears to keep the engine in the sweet spot.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
01 Mar 2023 13:37 #247813 by DrRobin
Power and Torque of a Jimny

www.jimny-crew.com/jimny-on-the-dyno.html

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2023 14:51 #247815 by JBradders
The ARB quick disconnect sold by Jimnybits stiffens up the rollbar quite a bit.

If you don't do any off-roading so don't need the ability to decouple the ARB then I guess you could just cut the bar and weld a tube over a portion of it to get a similar effect without spending the £80.

...or like Lambert says, get an ARB off of a diesel.

More
01 Mar 2023 19:34 - 01 Mar 2023 19:37 #247822 by Vandoni
ok so first thing to do would be get a diesel model ARB and see if that gets me the results i'm looking for.
i'll call the dealership near where i live and check if they have some 2018 or so diesel ARBs. i'm pretty ignorant on the subject so i'm gonna ask, does the jimny have only 1? or does it have a front and rear one like most vehicles (i suppose)
Last edit: 01 Mar 2023 19:37 by Vandoni.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds