BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternative front wheel hubs for '99?

More
11 Apr 2022 19:33 - 12 Apr 2022 03:19 #242858 by Tango91
Howdy, long time listener, first time caller.

At the start of February I suffered major brain damage, sold my very reliable and comfortable Mercedes C-Class and picked up this lovely little 1999 Jimny with 109k on the clock for far too much money:

Since then it has been non-stop ingesting the contents of my wallet, including but not limited to, NSF wheel bearing, thermostat, head gasket and a skim, a new head unit and speakers all around, a winch, manual AVM locking hubs and a NSF wheel bearing, again.

Long story short, and the reason for this question, the replacement wheel bearing quickly developed major play, which actually turned out to be the bearing moving within the hub, which is buggered.

For a car that was made basically unchanged for 20 years up to 2018, the front hubs seem to be made of unobtanium in the UK. None of the parts places near me can get them, there's no used ones on ebay that don't look like they've spent 15 years in the sea, and new ones are eye wateringly expensive, shipped from the other side of the world.

What are the odds that a Mk1 98-05 Grand Vitara hub fits the Jimny? From what I can gather the bearings are the same type and dimensions. I don't need the seal at the back for the vacuum hubs because mine are manual. (or the ABS ring for that matter)

Wheel-Size.com tells me that the centre bore, PCD and thread sizes are the same. For £30 i reckon it's worth a punt even if the bearing is cheap rubbish as I now have several nice KOYOs waiting for homes.

Before I pull the trigger on that, does anyone have any experience/alternatives?

Thanks! And send help, the Mrs is trying to take my wallet away

Last edit: 12 Apr 2022 03:19 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2022 19:37 #242859 by Soeley
Hello and welcome, sorry I can't advise you on the hubs, but someone will be along in a bit that will be able to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tango91

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Apr 2022 03:22 #242863 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I have not tried that particular option so can't comment. However have you sent Martin in the shop in the top banner a request for quotation, can get virtually everything and at good prices.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Apr 2022 03:25 #242864 by Lambert
Oh and from memory there are 2 sizes of center bore early ones being 107mm and later being 108 , think it changes around 2005 I think.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Apr 2022 07:22 - 13 Apr 2022 07:29 #242883 by mlines
The last time I purchased the hubs for someone was last year when they were £126 each. I would have to quote again but they would be slightly higher now

And that £30 one for the Vitara sounds like it is made of Chinesium for that price

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 07:29 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tango91

More
14 Apr 2022 10:17 #242889 by maverick
Chinesium (too funny)

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
18 May 2022 17:52 #243351 by Tango91
For anyone playing along at home, Martin sorted me out a genuine Suzuki hub, shipped within a week from Germany, for £136 to my door.

Thanks Martin!

More
20 May 2022 13:56 #243382 by maverick
*gulp*

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds