BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hubs vacuum pipes diagram/photos?

More
01 Feb 2022 14:41 - 01 Feb 2022 15:01 #241653 by Sharik
Hello! I just got my very first 4x4 :)

I was awere that 4x4 is not engaging when I was buying it - it's time to fix that. I've seen topic about troubleshuting flashing 4wd light and found an issue. I have no  vacum hoses at all :'D It seems I need to rebuild it more or less. I found this under the bonet - so it seems not whole system is missing.

Does any good soul has some photos how it should be connected? Diagrams are not very easy to read when I assume that everything might be messed up. 

Jimny 1999 manual
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 15:01 by Sharik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2022 22:15 #241665 by Busta
Here you go.

Normally the pipes are routed down to the chassis and along the radius arm to the front axle, but this route is quite exposed. I prefer to route the around the engine bay then down the brake hoses to the axle, so they are out of harms way.
You will need about 10m of 4mm id (inside diamter) hose and 2 T pieces. I use clear pvc hose because it's cheap.
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2022 00:26 #241668 by Sharik
Much thanks! You think I can get away just installing flexible, rubber hoses and securing it?

Jimny 1999 manual

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2022 06:39 #241670 by Lambert
Just out of curiosity what do the centre caps of your front wheels look like, are they black and flattish or do they have a sort of handle or dial mechanism in them? I just find it odd that the pipes would have been removed unless manual hubs are replacing the vacuum ones.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Feb 2022 08:57 #241671 by Busta
Good point. They may also be black and flattish with a bolt head sticking out, where someone has used my quick and dirty hub locking method. Of they could have locked the vac hubs internally and you won't know unless you take them off.

More
02 Feb 2022 09:34 #241673 by Sharik
It seems that maybe someone tried to replace whole system but ended up with "nah, I actually don't need 4x4". There is loop between lock/unlock ports (at least it was not sucking dirt), none of those alu pipes, rubber pipes closest to hubs are also missing (but plugs are not secured, so I guess I will have to clean those inside).

It seems those are original, vacuum hubs - no any kind of handle.

Jimny 1999 manual

More
02 Feb 2022 09:37 #241674 by Sharik
Oh, I will take them off today. I don't think they are engaged all time, previous owner (old guy) used it for city trips mainly for past several years.

Maybe less fuss would be with manual lock hubs.

Jimny 1999 manual

More
02 Feb 2022 11:42 #241675 by Busta
Manual hubs are a simple, if slightly inelegant and more expensive solution.
Personally I'd buy the hose (it's less than £10) and do a few quick tests, running a length of hose from the hoses under the battery straight to the ports on the hub and see if it makes any noise when going between 2 and 4wd. If you have signs of life then it's a positive inidcation and an hour or so routing the hoses should see you with a fully functioning, fully automatic 4wd system.
If the initial signs are less positive then consider manual hubs. The vacuum system is all simple and fixable and personally I wouldn't be without it, but it does depend how much patience you have and how keen you are to keep it.

More
02 Feb 2022 14:06 #241676 by Sharik
First I will try what you said, little test if whole system is working at all.

I wonder, how exactly manual hubs works? I mean, not hubs exactly. I seen that you need to plug shut vacuum lines to trick car that 4wd is engaged propperly. So you move lever just as "reminder" that 4x4 is on? What about 4L? Will it work normally by lever?

Jimny 1999 manual

More
02 Feb 2022 20:31 #241689 by Busta
The lever will still do the same job. in 2wd the front axle isn't driven. Moving the lever to 4h engages the drive to the front axle in the transfer case. This action also pushes a switch inside the transfer case, which is the on/off signal for the vacuum system to connect the hubs. It's the 2 wire connector on the back of the transfer case. If you unplug it vacuum hubs and 4wd light will not function at all.
The moving the lever further back switches to the low ratio gearset in the transfer case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharik

More
19 Mar 2023 18:23 #248103 by SteadRJ
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just bought a Jimny for 4x4 trials and found I'm missing big chunks of vacuum lines as well. The 4wd light illuminates on the dash but unsure if it is actually working yet. there is no 4wd low light illuminated and 4wd low doesn't engage. The lines around the front axle have a break in them but look to be all present. There are three further back down the chassis on the right hand side that are broken and no pipes hanging or anything. Is there a diagram anywhere that I can use to replace or does anybody have any input?

More
19 Mar 2023 22:31 #248105 by DrRobin
One of my vacuum lines was blocked just before Xmas and I get the steady green light to say it is in 4WD but it isn’t. I messed with the vac lines quite a bit then bought manual hubs (AVM) and just looped the vac tube back on itself to fool the pressure sensor.

I actually quite like the semi-manual system it’s more definitive, but I intend to buy some 4mm vac pipe (in two colours) and replace all of the vac pipe with the T-pieces at the top so I can put it back to standard at some stage, possibly just for the summer. The existing vac pipe has far too many joints and solid/flexible pipes to be reliable.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: SteadRJ

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds