BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transfer case reduction gears

More
01 Oct 2020 14:43 #228680 by Old Neil
I have a question for the Bigjimny brains trust, people who are smarter than me
I hear you can get reduction gears for transfer case that reduce raitios in the high and low range
Does that mean I can have larger wheel diameter without extra strain on the motor?
Does that theory work in real life?
How big can i go in tyre size and i guess i have to do a body lift
Thanks Neil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Oct 2020 15:43 #228683 by Lambert
I have never really looked at what gearsets are available but I know trailgear do complete sets. Once you have an idea of what you want there is a gearing calculator called grimmjeeper that will allow you to work out either the tyre size for the gears or the gears for the tyre size. Many people have done this before.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

More
01 Oct 2020 15:50 #228684 by sniper
32-33' tyres can be used but you do need H/D shafts and CV's or you will keep blowing them... There are a few options for gear sets up to 6.5-1

sniper

More
01 Oct 2020 17:54 - 01 Oct 2020 17:56 #228685 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Transfer case reduction gears
Jimny bits sell a variety of gearset to change the transfer case ratios. You can also fit older Suzuki transfer cases and modify the ratios in them. Then there is a choice of 3 standard diff ratios and over the years the Jimny has used 2 gearboxes with different gearsets.
The maths is fairly simple. Use a website like tiresize.com/calculator/ to calculate in the % increase in tyre circumference and aim to match or exceed this figure with the high range gear reduction. For low range, the lower the better really!
You don't have to go much bigger than standard before you get body clearance issues. The relationship between tyre size and lift required is well documented on this site.
The best approach is to choose a suitable tyre size, then do the sums for the gearing, then look into what sort of lift and trimming you will require. Don't buy stuff until you've done the maths. It soon becomes quite expensive to do it properly!
Last edit: 01 Oct 2020 17:56 by Busta.

More
20 Feb 2021 12:12 #233039 by Dured
Replied by Dured on topic Transfer case reduction gears
Hi!
Building a fully off-road Jimny, have got 2004 with M16A nonVVT engine and AT box, manual transfer case.
I will be running 31 or 32" tires, so
1) Do I need gear reducers in t-case, why, what real benefit do they give apart from more controlled descending?
2) What gear reduction would you suggest with the 1.6 engine, AT box, 32" tyres?

ps Did a lot of searching in the forum archive but could not find this answered, if it has - you can direct me to the thread please :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Feb 2021 13:37 #233040 by Lambert
Ideally you would need something like the trailgear reduction gear set sold by jimnybits to bring it back to or below standard. At the moment you will be cooking the transmission fluid from both ends with the extra power of the 1.6 and the taller tyres. I would also suggest a separate transmission cooler as well though calculation of the exact size to keep the fluid in working range may be a bit trial and error, it can be too cold.

More
20 Feb 2021 13:41 #233041 by Dured
Replied by Dured on topic Transfer case reduction gears
You really suggest tcase cooling, not auto gearbox cooling?
Btw, would there be an issue with the reduced gearing eg no more top speed or smth?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Feb 2021 14:24 #233042 by Lambert
Transmission cooler not transfer box. You will potentially experience lower top road speed but that would depend on which gear set you went for. The standard ratios for the boxes are in the Jimny information section on the top banner, and a site called grimmjeeper has a calculator to allow you to adjust for different tyre size.

More
21 Feb 2021 08:13 - 21 Feb 2021 08:15 #233065 by sniper
Dured,

Fit VVT 4.3 diffs and you would have the same drivetrain as me bar VVT. 

1600VVT + R7ME gearbox + Manual (stick) transfer box + 4.3 diffs + 30" tyres...... My shafts are standard. 

It goes well for a Jimny, powerband and road speed are well matched and eager in all gears... 70mph @ 4000rpm, could probably handle 31" comfortably......

Start going above 30" tyres and most I know who use them to lane, have needed Longfield shafts and CV's following failures of standard kit. On a road car it might not be such an issue.... but it's why I'm staying at 30" for now. If i go bigger than 30" I will fit H/D shafts and CV's, so £800 before you look at tyres..... Might be on 30" for a while yet lol....

sniper
Last edit: 21 Feb 2021 08:15 by sniper.

More
21 Feb 2021 16:12 - 22 Feb 2021 07:17 #233071 by yakuza
I got the trailmaster gear set. 1,6 VVT and 235 75 15.
Work well, but there is room for 30" I guess. Without them the car was more or less useless offroad but ok on the highway. A bit high rev now on the highway but ok if I had 1,3.

Edit: mine is a 2005 stick shift 5t manual with a push button transfer. All original except for the gears in the transfer box, 1.6 VVT and 235 tires.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 07:17 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Feb 2021 16:28 #233072 by Lambert
Don't forget this refers to an automatic main box which has different ratios.

The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
21 Feb 2021 16:41 - 21 Feb 2021 16:45 #233073 by sniper

Lambert wrote: Don't forget this refers to an automatic main box which has different ratios.

I had missed that Lambert, thank you..... VVT diffs would still be of benefit but you would be looking more to 30" tyres....

There may be some benefit from changing to a manual electronic transfer box but I'm too thick to do the math.....

sniper

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2021 16:45 by sniper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds