BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Minimal Off road Jimny Rig

• Tom Bacon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2020 20:19 #226047 by Tom Bacon
Minimal Off road Jimny Rig was created by Tom Bacon
Hello Everyone

I have a 2003 JB43 stock Jimny. I am thinking of installing either 33s or 35 inch mud tyres. Which components need uprating/adjusting? What suspension and or body lift should I go with? What are the bare essential mods to install?

All the best

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 20:37 #226049 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
About 2.5-3k worth of drivetrain parts.......

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Aug 2020 20:53 #226052 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Welcome to the forum. You have 2 basic options for making the wheels fit. First is a huge lift of suspension and also the body. Second is to get busy with the angle grinder and hack huge lumps out of the body. Neither is what you might call a particularly easy option. Having got the wheels under it regardless of how, you will need to correct the gearing with some combination of transfer box and differential gear set swap which is again not entirely straightforward also with such big heavy wheels and tyres you are going to need to truss the actual axle tubes as they will snap the welds at the pumpkin/tube joint either that or find something like a set of heavier axles off a bigger vehicle.

Whatever you decide on doing can we have pictures and a brief build thread we love those, please?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Bacon

More
03 Aug 2020 21:10 #226054 by X8GGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Bacon

More
03 Aug 2020 21:20 #226055 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
I did 35"s on a Vitara back in the day...

Attachments:

• Tom Bacon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 16:15 #226142 by Tom Bacon
Replied by Tom Bacon on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Thanks for the feedback guys. Would 31 inch tyres avoid having to uprate axles, transfer case, diffs and other bits?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2020 17:21 #226150 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Yes and no. The biggest tyre with stock drivetrain is a 235.75r15 but it will need a lift. After that any bigger will need some kind of regear. Without a lift 215.75r15 will fit without a lift. Realistically a stock Jimny on stock size tyres suitable for the prevailing terrain will drive over round or through 90pc of the conditions likely to be found in the UK. It just won't look like it should.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 18:26 #226161 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
"It just won't look like it should" says it all really. The Jimnys biggest failing would appear to be it just doesn't look rugged enough. Chris

• Tom Bacon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 21:03 #226180 by Tom Bacon
Replied by Tom Bacon on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
What kind of gear reduction kit would work best for 31s?

More
06 Aug 2020 21:53 - 06 Aug 2020 21:54 #226182 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig

Tom Bacon wrote: What kind of gear reduction kit would work best for 31s?

A rocklobster is best. But before you go down the modification rabbit hole you should be aware there are several approaches to modifying a car.

You can relatively easily fit 31s with a cheap lift kit, a bit of trimming and no modifications to the drivetrain and have an "off-road ready" Jimny in a weekend, looking cool on its tall suspension and big tyres. Plenty of people do this. They then realise it's terrible to drive on the road, they drive it off-road a few times, burn out a few clutches, break a few CVs, get cross-axled on every other bump and get fed up so they move on something heavy and diesel.

Or you can do a bit of research, ask around for advice, and build one properly with appropriately sized tyres, good quality suspension, the correct gearing to suit the tyres and up-rated parts where needed. This costs a lot more and takes time, but the result is a reliable and capable off-roader that can still be driven on the road and will outperform almost anything in the mud.

Of you can stick a decent set of tyres on an otherwise standard Jimny, accept it won't be the ultimate off-roader in deep ruts or impress the kids outside Macdonalds, but simply enjoy it for what it is. Which is a small, capable 4x4 that can go everywhere you'll ever need to go and lots of places you don't.

Choose which path you want to take now to avoid expense and disappointment later!
Last edit: 06 Aug 2020 21:54 by Busta.

More
06 Aug 2020 22:26 - 06 Aug 2020 22:28 #226184 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Some sound advice.
By far the biggest improvement you can make is stick some good standard size MT or AT tyres on a bog standard Jimny and just enjoy it. You will be surprised just how far this will get you.
If you want to go that extra distance the cost will spiral as indicated, and it's no guarantee you will.

But plenty do and it's your Jimny to enjoy, so if you want that's good enough so long as you are happy to spend.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Aug 2020 22:28 by Scimike.

More
07 Aug 2020 07:27 #226195 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Even on 235.75.15's I believe that you need gear reduction. I have this sized tyres and a rocklobster transfer box and would not be without it.

I've run 215.80.15's on standard gearing and it wasn't great.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds