BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suspension upgrade suggestions for towing a Cargo Trailer please!

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2020 08:47 #224050 by TillymintDLG
Hi Guys...
I am considering getting a Box Van trailer. It's a Braked single axle with a Gross weight of 1300 kg, Unladen it's 370 kg...
My '05 appears to have bog standard setup with 75k miles on it..As I can't find an aftermarket Standard length kit, I may as well do a 2" lift !
Can anyone recommend a kit for me? Am also thinking of a HD Rear propshaft too!
Thanks in advance..
Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2020 09:22 #224054 by Busta
Hi Gaz,

You shouldn't need to upgrade the suspension for towing. It's important that you observe the correct nose weight, and when doing so the car suspension should not be affected. That said, your 15 year old suspension will be quite tired by now so fitting new standard springs and shocks will see a big improvement.

You won't need an HD propshaft. I've towed with Jimnys for years and the only problem I've had related to towing was a stretched transfer box chain. That was on a car with a 1.6 conversion and 120,000 miles on the clock. In standard form the drivetrain (and the rest of the car) is very durable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2020 09:37 #224059 by TillymintDLG
Thanks Busta, words of wisdom! I have to look sensibly don't I?
It is my daily driver but would like the ability to go 'mild' off road for wild camping... I will look into it!
I'm taking it to my local Suzuki dealer soon for a pre MOT (up in November) inspection re the drivetrain/suspension as desperate to get away this year!
Much obliged!
Gaz

More
27 Jun 2020 09:41 #224060 by Busta
A standard Jimny is perfectly adequate for mild, of even slightly wild off-roading. Obviously modifying a car is a personal thing and doesn't have to be rationalised, but it's certainly not necessary for the majority of situations!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jun 2020 09:43 #224062 by Lambert
Totally agree. A lift is going to create problems with getting the trailer to sit level and is totally unnecessary. There are plenty of manufacturers making standard road springs for a Jimny from suplex at the budget end to Klein and Suzuki at the top end. There are also loads of dampers available from all prices. If and it's a big if you're going to be doing as much or more than half your driving with said trailer on the back I can highly recommend the very expensive trailmaster sport dampers in standard length they eliminate pitch and roll and make towing a pleasant experience. However if you are not going to be towing regularly and are never very fully loaded they are very firm and you will find the ride is almost harsh, in this case the comfort version would be a better option.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2020 09:45 #224063 by TillymintDLG
More money to spend on decent AT tyres Busta, I have mixed, cheap road tyres on it at the mo!
Gaz

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Jun 2020 09:52 #224065 by Lambert
Also. I have just had the clutch done on Dreadnaught at 105 thousand miles mostly because I was in need of a head gasket and partially because the thrust bearing was occasionally making a chirp and the only difference is that the new one is slightly lighter because the finger springs are not so tired. I mention that because I'm very impressed with the general longevity of the transmission given the amount of work I ask of it.

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2020 09:59 #224066 by TillymintDLG
Great advice Lambert! The max load is 930kg, I can't imagine ever carrying that much in it! Just read the revue of the Trailmaster 2" lift comfort kit' seems to be what I need and cheaper than the Suzuki stock equivalent too!
But can I get them in Standard length Lambert?
Cheers
Gaz

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Jun 2020 10:07 #224068 by Lambert

TillymintDLG wrote: More money to spend on decent AT tyres Busta, I have mixed, cheap road tyres on it at the mo!
Gaz

A note of caution. Tyre choice is a very complex issue. All terrain pattern look cool and are a good compromise for mixed use. But. If you are going to be towing a lot especially in winter and mainly on tarmac the all terrain is not going to stop as well as a good road pattern. Before I switched to the bfg urban terrain I had a pair of mid range all terrain on the back and duellers on the front supposedly to improve off road traction while still having front tarmac grip. No so much. I had a selection of rather interesting occasions when trying to stop in the wet in a hurry was not really happening, that is as alarming as it sounds especially with several thousand pounds worth of sheep in the back. Having gone to the bfg urban it has never been a problem stopping even in a hurry.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Jun 2020 10:11 #224069 by Lambert

TillymintDLG wrote: Great advice Lambert! The max load is 930kg, I can't imagine ever carrying that much in it! Just read the revue of the Trailmaster 2" lift comfort kit' seems to be what I need and cheaper than the Suzuki stock equivalent too!
But can I get them in Standard length Lambert?
Cheers
Gaz

Not as a kit with springs. You would need the 0 to 20mm trailmaster dampers and a separate set of front and rear springs. Genuine are about 100 quid a corner like the dampers or alternatively the suplex can be had for 50 to 60 quid per pair.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds