BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front hub oil leak with new seal

• Duell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2020 19:16 #223416 by Duell
Front hub oil leak with new seal was created by Duell
Two weeks ago I changed oil seals and king pin bearings on a -06 Jimny.
After a couple of days the left hub started to leak oil. The oil seal looks god, but I saw a groove on the drive shaft.
Should I just put in a new seal and hope for the best or do I need a new shaft?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2020 20:55 #223420 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Front hub oil leak with new seal
I can see the groove/corrosion on the shaft but i don't think the seal lip sits just there.
Can i ask if you sourced a correct seal which should be 9mm wide, i once fitted an e-bay special which was 7mm wide and it leaked like a sieve, new correct seal from Jimny Parts sorted it.

• Duell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2020 21:24 #223422 by Duell
Replied by Duell on topic Front hub oil leak with new seal
Thanks for your reply.

I took a look at the seal, it says 26x38x6 but when I measure the height it seems to be 7mm. :(
The kit I bought on Ebay is supposed to be eqvialent to 09283-26016. I think the kit on Bigjimny was sold out a couple of weeks ago, that's why I ordered it from Ebay instead.
I've already a new 8mm seal, hope it will be fine.

More
09 Jun 2020 22:17 #223423 by Roger Fairclough
The genuine Suzuki seal Is able to flex to allow for the movement of the shaft from it,s centre line as the hub moves to allow the Jimny to turn on the road. Generic seals are not built to do this so as you drive through a bend the shaft pushes against the lip of the seal, opens a gap and oil will pass through into the hub.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds