BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Tell me about - wheel position in wheel arch

• mlines
  • mlines's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Super Users
  • Wokingham, UK
More
15 May 2020 08:09 #222250 by mlines
Our Gen4 has 215/75R15 tyres on it.

We did not notice any rubbing after fitment although it is possible we heard a noise on one occasion.

I have now fitted my own store 50mm lift, this is the first lift I have done on a Gen4.

In the interests of science, I did not fit castor correction bushes. I have never needed them on Gen3 Jimnys with the 50mm lift.

We now get a definite rub on small roundabouts, ie. car leaning whilst steering turned.

So, over to the Jury, explain to me:

1. Postion of wheel in wheel arch after a small lift, compared to standard (is it forward, back or motion path different as the suspension operates)
2. Addition of castor correction (via bushes), would this change position much,

Visually I can see no difference at all in the horizontal position of the wheel (clearly there is more space vertically).

I am currently trying to make up some sort of "tell tale" to find the rub as there are no clear marks on the tyre or body work.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2020 08:37 #222252 by 300bhpton
Do you definitely think it is tyre rub and not something else? I know it can be hard to tell. I've not read of this being a problem and there seems to be a lot of kits varying from 40-80mm and people running not only 215's but 235/75's also.

Maybe you can shake/rock the vehicle side to side with another person looking for anything that might be getting close. Do this with and without steering lock applied.

I assume small round abouts you are not going super fast, nor loads of steering lock?

When I was under mine last night, I'd say the radius arms look pretty level at standard ride height. As they droop it should shorten the wheelbase slightly if this is the case. However I wouldn't expect a 2" lift to have a significant impact on this.

• mlines
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Super Users
  • Wokingham, UK
More
15 May 2020 08:52 #222255 by mlines
I have not driven it hard yet, its my sons car and he is reporting it. I do imagine he is "enthusiastic" around roundabouts.

I have not properly looked at where it might rub. We had a brief look and there is a strange 2cm "flap" of plastic like a mini mud flap at the bottom of the front bumper which seems to be close.

I have never had issues with 50mm lift and these tyres on Gen3, but this is first Gen4

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
15 May 2020 12:32 - 15 May 2020 12:46 #222269 by Jezz
1 The rear axle will be moved slightly forward, The front axle will be moved slightly to the rear, due to the arc of the radius arms. Longer arms will address this.
2 Caster bushes fitted correctly will only rotate the axle, not move it's position unless fitted like Dave has done.
3 Due to the lift, If using standard panhard rods the axle will no long be central longitudinally.
A bad drawing of where it will most likely be rubbing.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2020 12:46 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

• mlines
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Super Users
  • Wokingham, UK
More
15 May 2020 14:01 - 15 May 2020 14:02 #222272 by mlines
Thanks,

This is the sort of space we have

The front is deceptive in the picture as the tyre is inside the arch so should not touch the bumper edge under compression (we tried)

My feeling is that it is this small "mudflap" style rubber piece which is inside the wheel arch

This is where we have seen it get close. Cannot quite understand why this has appeared following a mild lift

Martin

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2020 14:02 by mlines.

More
15 May 2020 17:53 #222280 by Jezz
Where ever it's rubbing, there will soon be a shiny spot.

• mlines
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Super Users
  • Wokingham, UK
More
15 May 2020 19:14 - 15 May 2020 20:26 #222283 by mlines
I have just been out and thrown it around. Full lock turns in either direction with tyres squealing. I did not see or hear anything. Tried some braking as well to cause further dipping, no noise either.

So got to keep trying, son reckons he can recreate it, but I cannot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

Last edit: 15 May 2020 20:26 by mlines.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2020 05:42 #222296 by Lambert
What sort of rubbing is he reporting because with those tyres I would expect a very pronounced noise frequency like a stick against railings, if it's not and is a more smooth higher or continuous frequency I might be looking underneath at other rotating assemblies not only the tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 May 2020 08:19 #222307 by kirkynut
Castor correction will put the front axle forward and the rear backwards and create more clearance in the locations identified above due to the rotation of the axles.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 May 2020 13:50 #222324 by Jezz
I would be interested to see how?

Attachments:

More
16 May 2020 14:02 - 16 May 2020 14:03 #222325 by Jezz
Doing this would move it, As Dave has done.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2020 14:03 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

More
16 May 2020 17:07 #222344 by jackonlyjack
Just measured my gen3 wheelbase for first time
turns out it's 25mm longer than standard @ 2275mm
89.56" now i wonder if +4 arms will get me to 90"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds