BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Anchor points to secure luggage/shopping etc in the boot.

More
18 Apr 2020 16:41 #221217 by wjamieson
Fitted some anchor points today to allow me to secure items in the back. Tend to use my car as a two seater all the time. I have the seats folded flat and the rubber boot liner. Even with the rubber boot liner things still tend to roll about in the back. Trying to find somewhere at the front proved difficult so decided to go with the anchor points for the seat belt. Removed the 14mm bolt and fitted the Tie down anchor hooks. Plenty of length in the bolt so no problem fitting the anchor hooks. Only slight challenge was removing the castellated washer(sure it has another name) need to use small screwdriver to prise away once removed a wee bit was able to unscrew like a nut. 10 minutes later two very strong anchor points that can be used to tie things down. Items bought from Amazon - QLOUNI 8PCS Tie Down Anchors Hook V-Ring Trailer Forged Lashing Rings Bolton Trailer Anchor Replacement, D Ring Dee Rings for Boats Vans Trucks Warehouses,...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird, PabloAzH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 15:55 - 22 Apr 2020 15:58 #221382 by yakuza
I like the idea. Especially for the rear seat mounts.

But I would be careful not to overload the bolts as they are supposed to save your life in a crash..
In my country I would remove them before the MOT as well.

Edit: on the other hand, something heavy in the rear that comes flying forward when you crash would be considered unhealthy as well.. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2020 15:58 by yakuza.

More
22 Apr 2020 16:23 #221385 by DAGZOOK
Thanks for sharing this! brilliant little tutorial. I too often leave the car as a two seater - I'm trying to design a fridge slide at the moment, A tie down point behind the front seats is just what I'm after! I was potentially thinking about fitting some D-Rings (as above) to the main fasteners that hold the seat front rails to the floor. Discrete but useful :)

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 18:12 #221391 by Grima
I have found 18 anchor points. 4 rear door, 5 each side, 4 behind front seats.

Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2020 18:21 #221392 by DAGZOOK
Nice one Grima. The anchor point behind the front seat, is that fixed to the body work? The lower seat belt fixing that Wjamieson shared looks strong as houses.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 18:28 #221393 by Grima
Remove plastic thing, I found it when fitting rear speakers.Threaded bolt hole, you just need a longer bolt.

More
23 Apr 2020 09:04 #221413 by saxj

wjamieson wrote: Fitted some anchor points today to allow me to secure items in the back. Tend to use my car as a two seater all the time. I have the seats folded flat and the rubber boot liner. Even with the rubber boot liner things still tend to roll about in the back. Trying to find somewhere at the front proved difficult so decided to go with the anchor points for the seat belt. Removed the 14mm bolt and fitted the Tie down anchor hooks. Plenty of length in the bolt so no problem fitting the anchor hooks. Only slight challenge was removing the castellated washer(sure it has another name) need to use small screwdriver to prise away once removed a wee bit was able to unscrew like a nut. 10 minutes later two very strong anchor points that can be used to tie things down. Items bought from Amazon - QLOUNI 8PCS Tie Down Anchors Hook V-Ring Trailer Forged Lashing Rings Bolton Trailer Anchor Replacement, D Ring Dee Rings for Boats Vans Trucks Warehouses,...

This is also a threaded anchor point.
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2020 12:03 #221418 by Barry silver SZ5
The red circled anchor half way up behind seats , I tried lifting off plastic grommet but it stays firmly in place Nothing on it to screw it off either like all the back and side plugs. Do I use more force as don’t want to break anything. I brought stainless u clamps off eBay from China as used by canoeists Very cheap.

More
23 Apr 2020 12:18 - 23 Apr 2020 12:19 #221420 by saxj

Barry silver SZ5 wrote: The red circled anchor half way up behind seats , I tried lifting off plastic grommet but it stays firmly in place Nothing on it to screw it off either like all the back and side plugs. Do I use more force as don’t want to break anything. I brought stainless u clamps off eBay from China as used by canoeists Very cheap.

Although they don't have the slots in, they are still the same as the others. The shafts are ribbed. A little more force removes them. They have the same thread as the other holes.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2020 12:19 by saxj.

More
23 Apr 2020 16:13 #221427 by Barry silver SZ5
Thanks now fitted ok. Barry.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2020 15:47 #221470 by TillymintDLG
Great info !

More
13 Sep 2021 21:32 #238579 by PabloAzH
Awesome idea! I didn't want to go through the trouble of removing the rear seats since I might need one for an extra passenger every now and then so I was thinking about how to secure a fridge on top of the folded rear seat with ratchet straps. I was going to use the child seat anchors behind the rear seat but until now I had no idea where to anchor the front of the fridge!
I will see if the plug on the side of the center console also covers a threaded hole, if I could fit an anchor point there too I would have the four corners anchored

Former owner of JB43 (4sport BR trim) for 6 years/200,000+ km
Currently own auto JB74 since Aug-21 (50,000 km)
- OME kit (coils, shocks, panhard bracket and caster correction)
- front PPF to avoid paint chips
- rear custom deck
- Audison/Hertz sound system

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds