BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Are heavy duty rear springs available or are......

More
04 Jul 2019 21:23 #210633 by Max Headroom

Scimike wrote:
I don't know if they make Jimny springs or if they will make you a one off set. They are here just in case nothing else pops up.

www.jones-springs.co.uk/off-road-suv-springs

They may just make cart springs, but could be worth a call.

I can vouch for Jones' springs being exxcellent - they made the springs for my vintage MG - they were very easy to deal with and the turn around time was very reasonable

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2019 06:21 #210654 by kirkynut
I think your easiest solutions have been provided by Dave with either Jimny Bits diesel front springs on the rear or just add poly spring spacers to your current springs.

I think I'd try the spring spacers to start with due to their low cost. Obviously you are not increasing the spring rate so I'm assuming that you're happy with how it drives now but just want to correct the height.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2019 07:35 #210656 by NineCherries
I think first of all I'll try and fit a set of standard front springs that I have spare on the rear and take it from there. The standard brake hose at the back will be a bit tight though during fitting (it was a squeeze fitting a standard rear spring in) so ill need to investigate if i can create a bit of slack on the brake line or if i can get in with spring compressors.

that might be enough to support the rear better. and so long as the car looks and feels level then that might be it, if not i'll look into upgrading the front with diesel springs.

I do remember reading one of Dave's daily drive builds on here where he fitted front springs to the rear i think (standard shocks with shock re-locators) and different stuff to the front (vitara rear shocks on the front with springs and spacers?) but id need to go for a search, It peeked my interest when he posted it a while back.

Thanks again folks
T

More
05 Jul 2019 09:09 #210659 by kirkynut
Blimey, yeah, if you already have some front springs, stick them in. You've got nothing to lose!

There's plenty of room for spring compressors.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Jul 2019 21:54 #210690 by jackonlyjack
Just remove the clips that hold your brake pipes
One on the axle and other on chassis rail up the side of petrol tank
I fitted +2" springs this way ;)

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2019 22:42 - 06 Jul 2019 22:43 #210731 by NineCherries
Well, I gave fitting a spare set of front springs I have to the rear of my Jimny a go.

Here is a bit of a break down on what I found/done.

To start with,
Standard spring lengths, by my unscientific measure methods.

Fronts 340mm
Rear right 290mm
Rear left 273mm

The car still has all my usual stuff in the boot, and a 2nd battery behind the drivers seat to power my Yaesu 2m radio, tow bar is fitted along with my full steel JimnyBits roof rack and is on 205/75/15 general grabbers.

Before heights from ground to top of arch
Rear right 715mm
Rear left 735mm
Front left 745mm
Front right 740mm
Ground to bottom of towbar hitch 265mm

I then jacked up the car via the tow bar to have the suspension at full length with the tyres still on the ground, 395mm

Front spring remain unchanged,
Rear springs swapped out for a 2nd sets of fronts.

After heights from ground to top of arch
Rear right 755mm
Rear left 775mm
Front left 760mm
Front right 740mm
Ground to bottom of towbar hitch 310mm

And an after measurement where I jacked up the car again via the tow bar to have the suspension at full length with the tyres still on the ground, 395mm

If I get a chance I’ll remeasure tomorrow to see if the after measurements have settled any after driving and I’ll update them. First impressions are positive, car now sits better at the rear, there is space between the rear bump stops and the axle (before it was a finger width away, but I forgot to take this measurement).
There still is room for the suspension to extend.

All measurements are indicators and are a few mm’s out going by the photos but this info might be of use to someone.

Thanks for the help and info that you guys provided, if this doesn’t work out in the longer term then I’ll look into the other springs suggested.

Thanks again for all the info.

Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 06 Jul 2019 22:43 by NineCherries.

More
07 Jul 2019 00:14 #210735 by Scimike
Good bit of information this and results look promising.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2019 05:56 #210738 by Lambert
Be aware that you now have 4 springs that are essentially all the same length and this doesn't take account of the factory rear off side being longer to counter the infamous Jimny lean. Jimnybits provide a nominal 15mm spring spacer to go above the off side rear spring to level the car side to side. It only needs 1.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jul 2019 06:09 #210740 by Riccy
Also be wary of flexing out the suspension fully as the shock absorber is still the standard length. It may bottom out, possibly damaging it or one of its mounting points. The little shock relocator things that Dave sells are an easy solution.

Looks a positive result otherwise ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2019 06:28 #210742 by Lambert
I thought the factory dampers had internal extension stops like the trailmaster, like a inverse bump stop? They are the limiting element for droop even with the factory springs and the factory springs are still just under tension in full droop anyway? Hence the need for longer dampers with more stroke to get more droop out of lift kits?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2019 11:48 #210747 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Are heavy duty rear springs available or are......
@Lambert 4 equal length springs, yeah even with standard spring I had a bit of lean, my B4 figures showed that, but I think that’s more to do with what I’m carrying. A wee spacer might be worthwhile in the future.

@riccy would it? Shock is the still the same length, I still have the same amout of droop as before, no? My reckoning is the Max height before tyres lift of the ground is the same B4 and after, so on full compression the coils of the spring would close (or be very close) together before the shock reaches max compression as there is now physically more spring in there, the shock should be ok but poss a slightly longer bump stop is needed as now the bump stop might not be physically able to touch the axle and that can’t be good for the springs. At max extension the shock, in my head anyway, is still the limiting factor and it doesn’t matter what spring if fitted, at full droop the shock is maxed out either way. If I had fitted a longer shock but left the same original spring to try and improve articulation then my understanding is yes the shock could be fully compressed before the bump stop hits, and yeah that could wreck a shock.

I’ll need to get some paper and a pencil looked out and test my theory though

My aim isn’t to gain any extra suspension travel but more to try and regain the lost height/travel from having a heavier load on board all the time (towbar, steel roofrack, sun, amp are all in/on the car 100% of the time, with a toolbox, recovery gear, and a second battery on board 99% of the time too). When I have my little trailer hitched, before it almost sat on the bump stops at the back. With out the trailer hitched, there was only about 15/20mm between the bumpstop and the axle. I had previously stuck my hand in and could only freely pass 1 finger in the gap.

All good points though and worth thinking about. Thanks

T :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jul 2019 17:48 #210752 by Riccy
Im sorry, I was thinking of a different shock, yes it will work fine, ignore me :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds