BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What corrections needed for 40mm lift?

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2018 08:45 - 09 Aug 2018 08:51 #194936 by ramonmaruko
What corrections needed for 40mm lift? was created by ramonmaruko
I just bought a second hand 2015 JLX Jimny. This is my first four wheel vehicle.

The previous owner had an OME 40mm lift installed with Kumho KL71 LT215/75R15 tires. Castor correction bushes were installed on the front, mud guards trimmed, and a 1" trim pack/bushing on the front springs were installed to make the Jimny level.

I've read of some modifications that others have done after lifting the Jimny to correct any issues, and I am wondering what I also need to do for mine. I've read of:

* Castor correction bushes in the rear
* Propeller shaft spacers
* Brake balance valve correction bracket
* Rear shock relocators
* Panhard rods
* Steering spacers (or is this only for body lifts?)
* Bump stops

I have no plans to do off-road driving with this yet. I am using the Jimny as my daily driver now.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 08:51 by ramonmaruko.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Aug 2018 09:36 #194939 by Lambert
On a 40mm lift you shouldn't need much castor correction if it drives ok.

Similarly the props shouldn't be an issue.

Being a 2015 it will have abs and therefore no brake biasing valve to worry about.

If it is fitted with a suitable quality kit the damper should be matched with the springs and won't need relocation mounts. This is open to interpretation as some people believe relocation has a significant positive role, others think it's totally unnecessary.

Panhards will only be needed if the lift has significantly pushed the axles to one side of the centre of the car. A little lift shouldn't be particularly noticeable.

Steering spacers are for body lifts

Longer bump stops are necessary if on full articulation either the wheels are catching the body or if the dampers are bottomed out before the bump stops are working.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ramonmaruko

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2018 10:07 #194941 by ramonmaruko
Replied by ramonmaruko on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?
Thank you for the very detailed response.

I don't think the 2015 JLX for the Philippine market has ABS installed. The previous owner is unsure if there is one. The ABS indicator doesn't light up when the ignition is ON. The brochure also specifies "N/A" for ABS.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Aug 2018 11:18 #194944 by Lambert
Ah in that case look for a big spring attached to the back axle and the other end to a lever on a block with brake lines. There are kits that account for a lift available usually with a different lever or spring length.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Aug 2018 11:24 #194945 by Lambert
Alternatively make a bracket that moves the axle end of the spring back to the normal operating ranges.

More
10 Aug 2018 05:08 #194958 by zukebob
Ramon, you are correct that the 2015 Jimny (Philippine market) doesn't have ABS. I think they only came with ABS starting this year.

I am also in the Philippines and have a 2015 Jimny with OME springs and 215/75r15s. All I can say is that Lambert covered everything as well as it can be.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, ramonmaruko

More
11 Aug 2018 20:52 #195035 by kirkynut
On a 50mm lift you don't need castor correction, so you won't need it with a 40mm lift.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 08:56 - 24 Aug 2018 08:59 #195400 by ramonmaruko

Lambert wrote: Ah in that case look for a big spring attached to the back axle and the other end to a lever on a block with brake lines. There are kits that account for a lift available usually with a different lever or spring length.

I am having trouble locating the LSPV. I also can't find any pictures of the location with the surrounding areas to help me locate it.

zukebob wrote: Ramon, you are correct that the 2015 Jimny (Philippine market) doesn't have ABS. I think they only came with ABS starting this year.

I am also in the Philippines and have a 2015 Jimny with OME springs and 215/75r15s. All I can say is that Lambert covered everything as well as it can be.

Did you also had front spacers installed to make your Jimny level?
Last edit: 24 Aug 2018 08:59 by ramonmaruko.

• GRAYWOLF
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 09:11 #195403 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?
I fitted a 2inch(40mm) suspension lift kit recently, and despite most saying a castor correction kit was required(bushes etc)..i found it unnecessary, i do have a steering damper fitted also, i think because of this possibly, i didnt find any wandering or vagueness on steering mentioned by a lot of people..In fact i found it drives better than before, also ride is improved.
Alot i thinbk depends on how your vehicle has been looked after generaally, if its been a high miler, a lot of other factors will come into play, basically general wear on drive/suspension components, fortunately when i did my mods, it was on a low mileage jimny, only 32000.
So, maybe this is why i havent experienced any of the hassles others had.
I fitted a black raptor 2inch lift, springs and shocks, although this in others opinions is a low budget kit, i find its performance very good for the money spent.
And it really does improve my jimny.,

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 09:24 #195404 by ramonmaruko

GRAYWOLF wrote: I fitted a 2inch(40mm) suspension lift kit recently, and despite most saying a castor correction kit was required(bushes etc)..i found it unnecessary, i do have a steering damper fitted also, i think because of this possibly, i didnt find any wandering or vagueness on steering mentioned by a lot of people..In fact i found it drives better than before, also ride is improved.
Alot i thinbk depends on how your vehicle has been looked after generaally, if its been a high miler, a lot of other factors will come into play, basically general wear on drive/suspension components, fortunately when i did my mods, it was on a low mileage jimny, only 32000.
So, maybe this is why i havent experienced any of the hassles others had.
I fitted a black raptor 2inch lift, springs and shocks, although this in others opinions is a low budget kit, i find its performance very good for the money spent.
And it really does improve my jimny.,

My Jimny is also "young", only 25K mileage. I haven't installed a steering damper yet but I am thinking about it. We have really bad roads in the Philippines and it's sometimes terrifying to have a sudden steering kickback at 40km/h with scooters all around you.

• GRAYWOLF
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 11:19 #195408 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?
I would suggest a steering damper is a really good addition, it does get rid of the vague feeling most jimny's have..it doesnt self centre so readily once fitted, but you soon automatically respond to that, took me a day or so to adjust to it, but you really will notice a big improvement, it feels like it should do..responsive, and not so skittish over road irregularities..

More
24 Aug 2018 13:53 #195410 by yakuza

kirkynut wrote: On a 50mm lift you don't need castor correction, so you won't need it with a 40mm lift.

Kirkynut

I disagree. Castor correction bushes should be included in the kit in my opinion.
The car is much better on the road with castor correction than without.
I think it drives awful without them.

depends of course on taste and what you prefer, but i like the car to self align after turns like it did before the lift.

Another thing is that most correction bushes for 2" lift does not correct the castor fully as they have too little correction.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds