BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

high level brake light failed

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2015 13:22 #157978 by littletriple
high level brake light failed was created by littletriple
Hi all,
had a look around but couldnt find anything on this. My high level brake light has stopped working. It isnt the bulb so I removed the lining from the rear door & the wiring seems ok in there. So is the high level light simply connected to the others somewhere? Is there a common cause of this problem?
All advice welcome.
cheers, Martin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2015 13:56 #157979 by facade
The wiring diagrams simply show it connected in parallel with the left brakelight.

I wouldn't worry, as it isn't tested at the MOT, and it only irritates the driver behind in a traffic queue ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2015 14:10 #157980 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic high level brake light failed
Have you checked for corrosion in the socket? :)

More
06 Dec 2015 14:21 #157981 by facade
I re-read the original post, and if the wire breaks, it will be where it flexes on entering the door, not in the middle of the panel. Sometimes just the copper core breaks, and the plastic looks ok.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2015 08:27 #158015 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic high level brake light failed
thanks all. If it spurs off the N/S brake light it shouldn't be too hard to find the fault...
Have to wait for some daylight first!

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2018 19:46 #194769 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic high level brake light failed
Hi, finally bothered to find/fix this problem so I thought I should close this out.
There was a broken ground wire (the brake light has its own) in the flexible section between the door & the car - as suggested above. Simply soldered it together & protected with heatshrink. The cables feel a bit hard so may be an age thing..

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds