BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

think my engine has gone or going ? help

More
21 Oct 2013 18:17 #87380 by jamesey
hi ive got a 2001 51 jimny with the dohc engine and its never done it before but after my screeching belt fault i thought id change the belts , its chain driven but theres a pas belt and a alternater belt , ive also been ding my kingpin bearings so been off the road for a few days
anyway came to start it and it sounded very strange it wasnt turning ove properly at all , eventually it chuggs up into life after about 30 turns of the engine , i thought it was just choked up , it started fine everytime after that but tonight its done the same again
i once had a laguna with a snapped timing belt and it sounds like that , no compression etc , what can i check with winter coming on i really need it on the road. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 18:22 #87382 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
Charge the battery make sure there is no dampness around the spark plugs and leads/coils check the plugs may be a service and it could be bad fuel

More
21 Oct 2013 18:29 #87383 by jamesey
ill charge battery tonight and try again in the afternoon tomorrow , think fuels ok , had a service a few months ago , no water in oil?
knowing my luck it will be engine goosed? , would a dodgy sensor make it sound funny turning over?

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 18:39 #87386 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
ive got a dohc engine going cheap if you need 1 ;)

More
21 Oct 2013 19:24 #87396 by jamesey
i might need one m8 , cant believe it rich , its 1 thing after another , what they like for fitting does the ecu need coding for the new eng?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 21:34 #87425 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
No just fit it and away you go

• bashley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 21:55 #87429 by bashley
Replied by bashley on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
Dont no if this will help I had same sort of problem I was fiting a stereo and my battery was on its last legs the ecu of a jimny needs more than 8v to work if its low they dont tick over or run properly all the lights flash on the dash and needles move I charged for an hr or 2 and was fine after but I ended up buying a new battery hope this helps buddy

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 22:16 #87434 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
hopefully you wont need a engine jon but if you did they are straight forward fit

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2013 22:25 #87436 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help

bashley wrote: Dont no if this will help I had same sort of problem I was fiting a stereo and my battery was on its last legs the ecu of a jimny needs more than 8v to work if its low they dont tick over or run properly all the lights flash on the dash and needles move I charged for an hr or 2 and was fine after but I ended up buying a new battery hope this helps buddy

Had the same issue this week when we tried to use my jim to start my hilux was not at all happy was miss firing and running rough as hell as we cranked my hilux over as you say think battery voltage was dropping so low the ECU was shouting enuf is enuf

More
22 Oct 2013 06:53 #87450 by jamesey
Ill see what its like later ive got a big battery to put jump leads on to try it.fingers crossed

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2013 07:25 #87452 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic think my engine has gone or going ? help
Same problem with my Ibiza turbo when I sold it, had been sat for months so the battery was completely dead! Jump started it after much persuation and it then ran like a bag of shi* till the battery charged abit was flashing warning lights at me missfiring the works.once it charged up it was fine :cheer:

More
23 Oct 2013 07:20 #87576 by jamesey
Started fine last night .so maybe a glitch?
Or something might be on its way

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds