BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4wd light flashing on dash

More
08 Nov 2012 18:09 - 08 Nov 2012 18:16 #52656 by facade
Replied by facade on topic 4wd light flashing on dash
Here you go, from the manual

6 is the vacuum switch, it tees into the line A that goes to the hubs to engage them.
Line B pulls them off.
Both vacuum valves have a small filter on the bottom.
5 is the vacuum tank, and 3 is the non return valve.

Engine off.
Pull pipe X off the manifold, put it in your mouth and suck. stick your tongue on the end when you have a vacuum (will take a while)
If your tongue won't stick on the end of the pipe the valves are leaking.

Remove the whole valve block. The wiring connectors won't come off for anything, remove the wire clip, (don't bother recording how it went on, as you will never get it back on properly anyway ;) )
There won't be a retainer on the wiring connector now, mine hasn't had one for 12 months and is still on.

Try sucking the port marked Q on each valve in turn. There must not be any leak here.
Try blowing the side port, it should come out at the bottom where the air filter is.

Energise the solenoid with 12v.

The port Q should join to the side port

De energise Q should be sealed.

If it doesn't work, squirt GT 85 into the ports and operate the solenoid a few hundred times to free it up.

I suggest you blow into the ports now not suck!

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 18:16 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: project90

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• project90
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2012 18:45 #52660 by project90
Replied by project90 on topic 4wd light flashing on dash
ohh where is the manual about?

so i had part 6 out to day then, can this part break at all?

is the valve block the metal plate with them blue plugs (part 4 on picture)? if it is think i got it back in ok :D

i shall give the sucking on x tube a go see if i get anything,

how do you get your head into the bay to suck on the other things tho they dont have that much play on them think i might fall in the bay doing so, would it be possible to try use a plastic straw or the nozzle of a tube of silicone?

when u say energize the solenoid what number is that on the picture, also how do i do that, do i just turn ignition on or do i connect wire from battery to it? and where are these ports about? will i see them move or feel them

thanks for this some good info on here and real pictures of these things welcome aswell

also to add my air tank is in engine bay does this matter or is it just as its older/new than picture?

again thanks alot guys

More
08 Nov 2012 20:11 #52666 by facade
The valves are mounted on a metal plate that removes in about 5 minutes with a couple of bolts.

just try the suction thing on the tube from the manifold first, and if the valves are leaking, remove them on the plate for further testing.

It is still more likely that the fault is a blocked spigot on the hubs though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• project90
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2012 22:09 #52674 by project90
yeah i had that metal plate out this morning, i couldn't see any way of removing them valves though are they the blue things with like grey plugs into them with another red plug on top of them?

whats these spigots then i was just going by the thing on here for faults which reads

4WD is selected on the transfer box but the 4WD
light flashes.
The flashing is caused by the 4WD Controller
thinking that the vacuum system has failed. This can
be due to:
(v). Vacuum leaks from the system
(vi). Valve solenoid failure (VSV2)
(vii). Pressure switch failure

where is pressure switch? is that the grey 1 with little filter on it? number 6 in diagram?

More
08 Nov 2012 23:39 #52690 by facade
Can't remember what colour they are. I will take a photo of mine when it is light, but that will be about April I think, as I am at work during what little daylight there is now :blink:

Spigot: short metal pipe 2 off on each hub. rubber pipes connect to them. With black hub removed you must be able to blow through both of these pipes or the hubs cannot ever work.

For the manual: google suzuki jimny manual download should work.

• project90
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 19:56 #52915 by project90
ahh thanks for that, got a bit of a cold atm so not been out to look at the jimny hopfully get round to doing next weekend again, if not think it wil be a dealer fix as wife getting a bit impatient.

also if the dealer says its the pipe work and they replace the pipes, do they do metal 1's too? also if the 4wd system never worked after they done that are they under an oath to still fix it without charging more?

More
11 Nov 2012 20:43 #52934 by facade

project90 wrote: also if the 4wd system never worked after they done that are they under an oath to still fix it without charging more?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They will never ever ever say that anything they do will fix anything. They will say that the pipework needs replacing if it does, and that it is stopping it working.

Dealers tend to fix things by repeated substitution, and the customer pays for the parts. This is why most of us do our own repairs.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 20:49 #52935 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic 4wd light flashing on dash
Sorry to hijack the post but does anyone know how to get rid off the flashing 4wd light when you have fitted fixed hubs?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 20:55 #52939 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic 4wd light flashing on dash
take the bulb out

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 20:58 #52942 by Smoggy
doesnt look nlike has a bulb, its just a pcb with 2 multiplugsgoing into the back :(

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 21:06 #52946 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic 4wd light flashing on dash
mine has a bulb and its a w reg what years yours

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2012 21:29 #52951 by Smoggy
2000 xplate. I will take instrumentpanel out and have another look.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds