BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

rear wheel bearing

• kyrris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2012 17:40 #44758 by kyrris
rear wheel bearing was created by kyrris
Hello, does anyone know which is the best wheel bearing? is it skf ?
Also my car has abs but i have disconnect it, will the wheel bearing kit for the non-abs model fit my car ?
Thanks for any answers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2012 18:18 #44766 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: rear wheel bearing
is the car a off roader or a daily drive cos it wont pass an mot with the abs disconected even if the light dont work if theres an abs pump and no light its a failure i think the only differance is the abs ring

• kyrris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2012 11:27 #44803 by kyrris
Replied by kyrris on topic Re: rear wheel bearing
The mot is not a problem. Thanks for the help

More
24 Jul 2012 16:43 #44813 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: rear wheel bearing
Timken are the best but Koyo from The Big Jimny Shop are still good and possibly the cheapest place to get them - they are what Suzuki put on originally and what a Dealer would sell but for alot more!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
27 Jun 2019 09:41 - 27 Jun 2019 09:48 #210350 by Matt H-E
Replied by Matt H-E on topic rear wheel bearing
I'd advise anyone reading this to learn from my bitter experience - pay the money and get the Koyo's from wherever you can (I don't know about Timken bearings so can't comment on them). Preferably buy the Koyo's from Martin, or any other source if you have to, but be very wary of 'European manufactured' aftermarket bearings.

Here's why - Martin was out of stock so I bought what I thought was a good non-Koyo alternative. It turns out that these alternative bearings have a very sharp edge between bearing body and bearing cap (if that's what it's called), and don't have the slight chamfer that the Koyo's have (which allows smooth fitting). As a result the sharp edge on the alternative bearings bit into the bearing housing in the axle, and stuck refusing to go any further as they were now skew (even if by a micro-millimetre, but it's enough).

Only option - pull it apart again, cut off and throw away £££' worth of useless new bearings, buy the proper ones and start again.

The first photo is of the sharp edge on the not good bearing before I cut it off, the second photo is of a section of the original Koyo bearing - you can just see the all important chamfer.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 09:48 by Matt H-E.

More
27 Jun 2019 09:50 #210351 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic rear wheel bearing
SKF, FAG, KOYO has little or none quality difference for our car-use.
At my work (gearbox manufacturing) there is no alternative to SKF due to cost/quality, but if customer use FAG after service we would not hold it against them i guess. Any other brands or copies would void warranty.
Most of our bearings are between 150-300mm in diameter so not directly comparable to rear bearings in a suzuki :)

NTN also is ok for smaller aplications.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Jun 2019 09:56 #210352 by Matt H-E
Replied by Matt H-E on topic rear wheel bearing
The point isn't about quality - it's about missing design features.

More
27 Jun 2019 11:04 #210354 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic rear wheel bearing
I did a lot of work on CNC grinders for RHP bearings in Newark. Their precision dept mostly.

If you look at the quality of the "cheap" bearings, they are pretty much what was being used in the UK 30-40 years ago. That is because they are the same machines and they were sold to the Far East/Asia. They have now come online properly and can flood the market.

The accuracy that is achievable with modern grinders is probably only 10% greater but it is a very important 10%.......

Steel quality is a major issue as is heat treatment. A great many variables need to be lined up to produce top quality bearings.

Koyo are a true Jap firm and manufacture with disciplines such as Kaizen, TPM, 5 S's and so on. They should be almost unbeatable in terms of quality.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds