BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Few Jimny Questions

More
20 Jul 2012 20:12 #44617 by Alan16ac
Few Jimny Questions was created by Alan16ac
I'm buying my first Jimny and I have a few questions.
I've searched but can't find definite answers to my questions so sorry if it's all been asked and covered before...

First of all, the engines. I know they increased in capacity slightly at some point, and they went from SOHC to DOHC and then VVT was introduced. At what dates throughout it's life did these improvements happen.
And is it worth me spending more on a newer one to get VVT or shall I just buy an older around 2000 year one?

Also when did air con become available on them, as I'd like to have it.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 22:23 #44631 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
Hi mate.
I had a 2000 model Jimny with the SOHC and it was great never missed a beat. The DOHC cam out in 2001 I think its slightly bigger and cost more in tax Then the VVT engine came in in 2005. I would just stick to the SOHC cam. I only changed mine because another Jimny came up For sale with a very good spec. It all depends on what you want it for and what your budget is. Be warned it becomes very addictive and you need very deep pockets or a nice big credit card lol :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks
James

More
21 Jul 2012 02:55 #44642 by Alan16ac
Replied by Alan16ac on topic Few Jimny Questions
Thanks. Might just go for a 2000 model.
Then the tax will be cheaper and it'll leave me about £2000 for some mods.

I can't wait I bet I'll be driving along looking at everything thinking I can drive over that! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using klatapaT.

More
21 Jul 2012 14:25 #44675 by Alan16ac
Replied by Alan16ac on topic Few Jimny Questions
Anyone know about the Air Con?

Sent from my iPhone using klatapaT.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 15:20 #44678 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
Get one registered before 1 March 2001 and you'll just be paying £135 tax for a year - vastly preferable to the £215 I'll have to pay for my 2002 Jimny. I think they started fitting the DOHC engine in 2000 (although the soft tops continued with the SOHC for another few years). The SOHC engine has a cam belt, the DOHC has a cam chain so if you do get an SOHC make sure the belt has been changed recently, or budget for having it changed.

I don't think I've seen aircon on any pre-facelift Jimnys, but it was an option (maybe just not in the UK?). Get yourself a pair of wind deflectors and you can get plenty of fresh air without too much buffeting or rain coming in.

More
21 Jul 2012 18:31 #44688 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
Road tax is £195 on my 2008 vvt.
Aircon was available as an option on the SOHC Jimnys. I know as I looked into it on my first Jimny.
That was one of the problems with ventilation as there are no vents or opening windows in the rear so you don't get the throughflow and passengers kept complaining
Expensive at about £1000 so most people didn't bother.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
21 Jul 2012 18:45 #44689 by Alan16ac
Replied by Alan16ac on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
Might just go with the wind delfectors and sod the air con.
I just really want my Mini sold now so I can get one!

Might just buy a 2000 one so tax is cheap, and will leave lots of money for mods :)

More
22 Jul 2012 14:37 - 22 Jul 2012 14:41 #44718 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
who needs aircon get a soft top air is free. :whistle:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 14:41 by dirtydogz.

More
22 Jul 2012 16:05 #44724 by Alan16ac

dirtydogz wrote: who needs aircon get a soft top air is free. :whistle:

What's the roof like, do they leak?
I like the thought of a soft top but imagine it to be cold in the winter and leak!

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2012 16:16 #44726 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
As said... you don't really need aircon, wind deflectors cut the noise and air flow is fine.

From my experience most 2005 and newer have aircon... it was introduced when the dash was changed.

1998-2003 hardtops were in the main a fairly basic spec... then a Special ed was released with a few nice bits, then the Mode was released with added leather. IMO this was to shift cars before the facelift was released.

Facelift Jimny's are virtually identical except the front bumper and the new more aesthetic dashboard
Oh and if you want to be able to drop the rear seats to have a boot... the older style back seats are far better

More
22 Jul 2012 16:44 - 22 Jul 2012 16:44 #44728 by Alan16ac
My Mini is up for £3,795, but I'll let it go as low as £3,395.

For that I could get a VVT 2005 Jimny, but is it worht buying say a 2001 with the DOHC and spending the rest on mods?

Or is the SOHC just as good? I'm worried about rust with older ones too.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 16:44 by Alan16ac.

More
22 Jul 2012 16:58 - 22 Jul 2012 17:12 #44729 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Few Jimny Questions
If you got the money go for the VVT 2005 jimny, and do the mods when you have some spare cash .
And no the soft top roof don't leak, and as for winter the jimny has a good heater.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 17:12 by dirtydogz.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds