BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

jimny panhards

More
25 Feb 2009 19:36 #403 by jamesey
jimny panhards was created by jamesey
which way round do they go , with the adjuster nut on the passender side or on the drivers side , also how do you know when they are set right and how do you do it , cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2009 20:05 #404 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:jimny panhards
Hold on whilst your still on line and I'll go and have a look ... was just about to reply to your other post aswell so stand by...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
25 Feb 2009 20:09 #405 by kirkynut
Mine are mounted with the adjustable side on th drivers side both on the front and the back, however, I can't see why it should make a difference.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
26 Feb 2009 08:16 #408 by jamesey
Replied by jamesey on topic Re:jimny panhards
how do you adjust them or how would i know when to??:dry:

More
26 Feb 2009 08:49 - 26 Feb 2009 08:55 #409 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:jimny panhards
The panhard rod keeps the whole axle central underneath the car.

Therefore the key measurement/adjustment is to check the that wheels are central, ie one tyre does not stick out more on one side than the other one does the other side
Ok =

OOOO
|__|

Wheels too much left =

OOOO
|__|

Wheels too much right =

OOOO
 |__|

So on a flat level surface see how your car sits and adjust the rod accordingly. Normally a car will sit pretty central without the rod on a level surface. So disconnect the rod and check and then adjust the rod so it bolts straight on without pulling the car left or right. This shoudl be a good starting point

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 26 Feb 2009 08:55 by mlines.

More
26 Feb 2009 08:59 #410 by jamesey
its going to darren at kap next week ive had enough with it , di you see my other probs with it in my other thread

More
26 Feb 2009 13:55 #413 by kirkynut
Darren will be able to set it up properly for you as I'd imagine he has all the allignment gear. He knows what he's doing and so do his lads.

It's just the money you'll have to pay him to get it all sorted though and he's unlikely to want to find the solution with those arms when he didn't supply them.

I'd have a look at getting that bolt out yourself and with respect to getting the length of the panhard rod right, set it the same as the original one if you can get it off and then all you've got to pay darren to do is the alignment.

I can understand why you might be losing enthusiasm with solving it all though and if in your shoes I would probably be taking it to Darren to sort out too. When it all starts to go wrong, I tend to get disheartened and want to give it to someone else to put right and you've spent a bit of money at the minute and for it to not all work as planned.

I spent £450.00 on getting our old SJ engine reconditioned to ensure it lasted us for a while yet - then it blew the head gasket 1500 miles later in the Lakes, the day before we were to do Gatescarth Pass.

I've also just rebuilt the steering knuckles on my Jimny for the drivers side CV to start clicking!!!

These things are sent to try us.

Let us know when you've got it all sorted and keep us updated with what happens with those arms and what Rhino Ray does about them.

Kirkynut

More
26 Feb 2009 14:43 #416 by kirkynut
Having just had a quick think after writing the above - if that bolt on the panhard rod were to shear you would be stuffed and wouldn't be able to drive it to daren for him to sort it - so perhaps leave it to Darren!

Kirkynut

More
26 Feb 2009 16:17 #417 by jamesey
i can get the bolt out it just spins when i tighten it up for some reason , ive also got a car trailer to whip it up there:P

More
27 Feb 2009 17:43 #424 by kirkynut
Oh I see, it's not the bolt head that's rounded, the thread's had it.

Darren is the man then!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds