BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

King Pins and Bearings

More
13 Jul 2010 13:26 #3793 by maverick
I still have the horrid Jimny "death-wobble" and some grease is starting to ooze out of the N/S Front CV Housing so I've ordered new King Pin Bearing Kit from Martin ...

...and thought whilst it was all apart, I'd be best to see how the bearings are too?

Does it make sense to replace bearing and King Pin Bearings at same time? .. any are there any pit-falls to look out for?

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2010 15:27 #3794 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
If I knew the definitive answer to curing Death Wobble I would be a rich man.

You are starting in the right place, the Kingpin Bearings, particularly if there is "grease" leaking from the joint.

However chasing the wobble can be a long task. When the hubs are apart to change the Kingpin Bearings you will have access to the rear of the wheel bearings. Take a close look at the bearing race you can see from the rear. If it looks rusty then a change is best. Its a double race bearing and I have had one collapse on the inner race and not show any signs of problems because the outer race was still perfect.

Look at the track rod ends for wear and generally rock the steering back and forwards. Get the steering alignment checked. Mine wobbles with all new bearings etc. and when I took it to the garage they found it impossible to align front to rear. I am taking the axle off and looking at both the front leading arms and the panhard rod for possible issues. I know during my creation of the adjustable panhard rod that it is possible to create extreme wobble so this is a possible area of problems.

Good luck!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Jul 2010 08:03 #3795 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
Hi Martin,

New Kingpin and Front Wheel Bearings arrived today...

Do you do OEM Trackrod ends?

Brett

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
14 Jul 2010 09:30 #3796 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
No I don't do them at the moment, mainly because they are so cheap from your average motor factor.

See here - www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Suzuki_Jimny_.../Track-Rods-and-Ends

Delphi TA1996 and TA1997 are what you are looking for.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
15 Jul 2010 06:46 #3813 by MigCooper
Replied by MigCooper on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
I solved my problem just by replacing the kingpin bearings B)

It still does a very suttle wobble from time to time, but it is realy sutttle and I can leave with that .... ;)

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

More
21 Jul 2010 11:40 #3926 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
Since changing the brake disks and pads I have eliminated some of the wobble in ours. Im away at the moment but the wife has been complaining that the Wobble has "Moved" to a different speed.. before it was less noticeable and when you braked, the Jimny tried to exit stage left !!!
Now its a wobble.

Might have to get some Kingpin bearings too .. How difficult are they do do ?
Also changing the Hubs to manual ones

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
21 Jul 2010 12:08 - 21 Jul 2010 12:08 #3927 by MigCooper
Replied by MigCooper on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
Hi ooky

I found they are quite easy to do, but requires some tools and is a very messy job.... loads of grease everywhere.
You can find a manual in the Here .. Number 4 on the list :)

You will need a puller at least a 1 E10 socket...

Regards :P

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...
Last edit: 21 Jul 2010 12:08 by MigCooper.

More
21 Jul 2010 12:12 #3928 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:King Pins and Bearings
Cheers ... Might have a shopping list for Martin next month ... Need to get a cir-clip pliers and a puller.

Lucky Im swapping the Vacuum Hubs for Manual Hubs as Ill be swapping from E10 to Internal Socket / Allen.

Im back in the UK for a week I think in September, so Will have a crack at them

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds