BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Detachable towbar removal

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2010 14:03 #3706 by Nelson83
Detachable towbar removal was created by Nelson83
Not one to miss a bargain, I came across a towbar still on a jimny in my local scrappy. Matey wanted 30quid for it if I took it off myself - bargain I thought :-)

Having returned home i set about freeing up the mechanism that allows the quick release of the swan neck. Large amounts of WD40 have washed out most of the sand and grit from the mechanism (judging by the state of the underside of the one it came off, it must have been used to launch a dingy or jet ski), but it still wont detach.

Trying to find instructions on how to detach it have resulted in me discovering that its a geniune Suzuki one costing £239, good job matey down the scrappy didnt realise :laugh: :laugh:

Does anybody know how to detach the swan neck from the socket it sits? The mechanisim is freeing up slowly with more oil, but I think the red slider (under the cover) has something to do with it. The website says refer to the manual but there isnt anything in there :-(

www.suzuki-shop.co.uk/index.cfm/fa/shopd...Category_Brand_ID/18

Cheers

Nelson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leswilluk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2010 14:13 #3720 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re:Detachable tow bar removal
I have the Suzuki tow bar on my Jimny you release the locking lever then pull it right out it has a sort of locking pin attached to it, then rotate the swan neck 180 deg then pull it out.

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2010 19:07 #3721 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re:Detachable tow bar removal
I knew somebody on here would have the answer!!! :-D I'll give it a try tomorrow

More
06 Jul 2010 00:26 #3726 by ooky_123
We have a similar bar, and had similar issues.
In the end, after soaking with WD40, we were able to slide the red locking slider towards the ball, and at the same time, squeeze the locking lever in to retract the locking mechanism.
It took some persuading, even at one point, shocking it to move with a lump hammer.
However, after repeatedly refitting it now moved freely and can be removed in seconds.
Having said that, we tend to leave ours on as it provides a useful deterrent to anyone parking too close

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2010 15:35 #3732 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re:Detachable tow bar removal
I think i need more WD40 and an even bigger hammer!!! My sledgey has failed to shift it :-( I'm keen on having it detachable so not to affect the departure angle too much, but failing that, i'll get my fitter to weld it solid just to be sure it wont budge

More
06 Jul 2010 20:04 #3735 by ooky_123
to be honest,m even though it sticks out, it doesnt affect the departure angle that much .. sure it digs in and scrapes, but weve never been stuck on ours and weve done som epretty extreme stuff in ours.

More
06 Jul 2010 20:46 #3737 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Detachable towbar removal
The reason the swan neck detaches is so that the ANPR cameras can read the number plate, and you don't get pulled by the police.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
07 Jul 2010 12:17 #3741 by kirkynut
I've been stuck on my tow bar which I think is different, but to be honest I think I'm glad I was as it stopped other things being caught.

If you think of going down a near vertical but short decent, when the back comes down, if the hill is as tall as the spare wheel, you don't want the spare wheel getting ripped off the rear door! I think my tow bar saved me from doing that once and just pushed the rear that bit further out from the hill to save the rear wheel.

I can't remember if that was in our old SJ or the Jimny but it matters not!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Jul 2010 12:40 #3745 by ooky_123
not sure how much of the numberplate is obscured by the towbar to make it attractive to the Bib, or the inability of ANPR to not beable to see it .... looking at ours, it is visible from a steep angle, and the thickness of the shaft isnt too obstructive.

Ill ask a mate to pop around with the local Area Car next time he is on shift and see if their ANPR can hit the plate and read it. IMHO the non removable ones are the worst for plate visability as they have the electrics and sometimes deflectors that sit quite close to the vehicle.

Incidently, my MOT tester is quite strict (wouldnet even pass the Jeep on non standard tyres, dispite knowing the legal road tures were in the rear, and insisted they were fitted to the vehicle first ... he hasnt failed or even mentioned the towbar obscuring the Numberplate and its been though 2x MOT's with him

More
07 Jul 2010 15:09 #3749 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Detachable towbar removal
From the MOT Testers manual section 6.3

Reason for rejection:

1. A registration plate:
a. missing or incorrect

b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off

c. letter or figure missing or incomplete

d. faded, dirty, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
07 Jul 2010 16:36 #3750 by ooky_123
dont get me wrong, im not saying that a towbar or any other item obscuring the MOT isnt a failure point, what im saying is on the two occasiona ours has gone for its mot the positionp of the Number Plate and the towbar has not been deemed to be in breech of point D that you have posted there.
with a standard removable bar fitted, the Reg Plate can be read easily

• leswilluk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2010 17:07 #3751 by leswilluk
Replied by leswilluk on topic Re:Detachable tow bar removal
I bought my Jimny new with a new tow bar so I have all the originally paperwork that came with it and it comes with a warning about number plate obstruction and states something along the lines of you must remove it if you are driving without a trailer attached as the tow ball is in front of the number plate its OK with the trailer as it has its own number plate

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds