BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

shock absorber brackets

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2010 15:35 #3367 by bryandenham
shock absorber brackets was created by bryandenham
Hi, what stops the lower part of the extension bracket from rotating when the axle has one wheel lower or higher than the other? Is it just the face contact and the tightness of the bolt or if not , what stops the bolt from coming loose?

cheers, Bry D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
10 May 2010 17:10 #3368 by funkyjimny
Studlock on the threads of the bolts ! losing those bolts is a common jimny problem in standard or modified form!

Gary

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2010 17:39 #3369 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re:shock absorber brackets
cheers! BUT i actually meant the adaptor rotating on the pin, not the pin itself rotating.
thanks anyway. BryD

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
10 May 2010 17:41 #3370 by funkyjimny
I have mine fitted with washers either side, but tbh its still fairly solid. The shocker is in a much better poition with the brackets fitted than when it was before, and theres enough movement on the bush to articulate.

Gary

• bryandenham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2010 17:53 #3371 by bryandenham
Replied by bryandenham on topic Re:shock absorber brackets
thanks gary, i'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. There are a lot of them around so it should be ok. if necessary i'll weld them on or completely fabricate a complete mount.
BryD

More
10 May 2010 18:16 #3372 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re:shock absorber brackets
i wouldnt weld them on, i may be wrong, but i think the move a little when the shock moves,

on a different note, i had them fitted then took them off again, my 2 rear shocks got burst seals with them on, my fault tho, its still on standard supension.

More
12 May 2010 21:21 #3376 by colin f
Replied by colin f on topic Re:shock absorber brackets
I have a jimny with bits4vits spring spacers on as a small lift kit (inch and a quarter or so). I was running standard shocks, but then I fitted the rear shock brackets. One rear shock has started leaking after only a couple of weeks. I fitted the bracket as my suspension had very little droop left after the spacer lift.

What shocks would you recommend?

Is it possible due to the small lift and a larger increase in height of the shock that they have bottomed out and damaged?

More
13 May 2010 08:48 #3378 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:shock absorber brackets
I guess from Garry's reply earlier that it is possible for standard shocks in un-modified set-ups to bottom out, or at least suffer a pressure increase. However with Spring Spacers I would have thought that the overall effect was neutral as the spacers give just over an inch and the brackets are about the same.. Perhaps there is a pressure increase in the shock at the extremes of articulation that has prompted a weaker seal to start leaking (is it on the Drivers side, the side that Jimnys tend to lean to?).

I have Pro-comps on mine, most people who have fitted the brackets have after-market shock absorbers of one sort or another

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds