BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re: Tow bar wiring help please

• grumpy22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 16:00 - 26 Nov 2011 16:01 #26637 by grumpy22
Tow bar wiring help please was created by grumpy22
I know there a guide on here but either it's wrong, my car is different or I'm colour blind

I've got everything working except the indicators. I've got one of those relay/buzzer that I had in my last car between the indicator wires and the trailer socket, it's earthed

All afternoon I've tried wiring in into the supposedly left and right indicators but no matter what I try it doesn't buzz and the trailer indicators remain off

Ggggrrrrrrrrrr

Any actual knowledge would be appreciated

Thanks
Last edit: 26 Nov 2011 16:01 by grumpy22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2011 21:10 #26756 by kirkynut
This is something I have to do as I plan to use a camping trailor in the future rather than load up the Jimny - although my new lift kit might mean it's less of an issue but the extra load carrying ability will be useful.

So I have been looking at the guide on here too.

If one is to assume that the same wires people link into in the rear side panel are the ones that go to the lights themselves - why go to the trouble of splicing into them inside the car?

Why not look at the rear of each lamp where you can see where the wires are going to and splice into them there soldering the joints and shrink wrapping them to protect them???

I'd like to know if this is wrong or a bad idea and why?

Otherwise, it must be easier???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• grumpy22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2011 21:55 #26763 by grumpy22
Replied by grumpy22 on topic Re: Tow bar wiring help please
I've managed with considerable fiddling to get somewhere today.

Getting the wiring inside the car is a pain, the grommit isn't really wide enough for the extra wire. The multiplug needs to be undone to get the bumper off but then can't get back through the grommit hole with the toward wire as well. The wiring code here isn't as you'd expect, red/green could be red with a green trace or green with a red trace or neither.

Still the guide is some help and much appreciated as a place to start

I wouldn't fancy wiring in below the bumper as the area is very exposed and connections likely to fail. You will also need an audible relay that needs fitting inside the car if it's to be heard. Most of my actual problems related to this as mine was duff! New one ordered from eBay

More
27 Nov 2011 21:58 - 27 Nov 2011 21:59 #26764 by kirkynut
What's the audible relay lark about??? Forgive my ignorance!

If the connections are soldered and heat shrunk and perhaps wrapped in elecrical tape they should be ok getting covered in crap.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 27 Nov 2011 21:59 by kirkynut.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2011 07:39 - 28 Nov 2011 07:40 #26770 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Tow bar wiring help please

kirkynut wrote: What's the audible relay lark about??? Forgive my ignorance!

If the connections are soldered and heat shrunk and perhaps wrapped in elecrical tape they should be ok getting covered in crap.

Kirkynut

used to be the law that if there was a trailer attached then a buzzer had to bleep intime with the indicators to prove the trailer lights are working
Don't think it is now as neither my audi or cherokee with factory fitted towbar buzz (although the audi driver information used to tell me if a light was out on the trailer and which one)
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 07:40 by darthloachie.

More
28 Nov 2011 07:50 #26772 by supergaz

darthloachie wrote:

kirkynut wrote: What's the audible relay lark about??? Forgive my ignorance!

Kirkynut

used to be the law that if there was a trailer attached then a buzzer had to bleep intime with the indicators to prove the trailer lights are working
Don't think it is now as neither my audi or cherokee with factory fitted towbar buzz (although the audi driver information used to tell me if a light was out on the trailer and which one)

There must still be a system in place to let you know if a indicator light is out, either fast flash or buzzer.
The Electric socket will be part of the MOT next year.

More
28 Nov 2011 08:35 #26777 by mcjimny
I went at mine a bit gung-ho and took the shortest route :blush: ie behind the bumper! A few months later i found the guide for correct fitting on here.

Anyway, i soldered all the joints etc.. and so far have only had user related problems. The relay wasn't working so i took it out, it then took a fortnight of odd hours fiddling before it dawned on me that the removal was the reason i had light issues! I put a new relay in thats inside the car and it doesn't work still but i have all the lighting working on my trailer. When i get chance in between other stuff i'll put a new one in.

Other than melting some of the wiring on the exhaust i've not had problems with the wiring itself, i only have problems with the plug. I give it a good spray with wd40 to stop it corroding and it works a treat.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
29 Nov 2011 09:56 #26868 by kirkynut
I've never known of a buzzer, relay on a towing loom before but don't have much experience of them. I'm sure it's not a legal requirement. They just have to work. Would drive me crazy!

Most motorists these days are too dim to notice their car indicators are quick flashing!

How can you get your vehicle indicators to flash quick when a trailor light is out?

Do you lose brightness of lights with a trailor when using the feed for the original lights?

Kirkynut

• grumpy22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 20:09 #26899 by grumpy22
Replied by grumpy22 on topic Re: Tow bar wiring help please
New relay arrived today, I'm sure it's a legal requirement and will be tested at the mot next year. I have an mot due on another car early next year so I'll ask my tame tester then

More
24 Mar 2022 20:39 #242485 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re: Tow bar wiring help please
Resurrecting old thread but . . .

I've installed a towbar to my Gen3 Jimny and the cables run down through a hole in the boot floor where the jack sits. The problem is that's right above the exhaust silencer box and I can't see a great way to secure it away from the hot exhaust. While the rear bumper was off the best option seemed to be going forward to a chasis tube then to the left to a frame rail and down to the towbar so that's what I did.
I'm wondering now if I should have gone to the rear more away from the exhaust, but I couldn't really see anything to cable-tie to that way.
Any suggestions/photos appreciated.
I plan to have another look at it this weekend - see if I can find a better route away from the exhaust.
Cheers

More
24 Mar 2022 21:29 #242486 by DrRobin
My Gen3 didn’t have a hole in to the boot, so I ran the cable along the tow bar to the near side (left as looked at from the back) where there is a rubber grommet in to the body close to the rear light cluster. There is a strange rubber flap as well, it looks like it is designed to let water out and stop mud/water from getting in.

All of the wiring you need is here and there is plenty of space behind the panel to make your connections and mount the relay/buzzer.

You need to take the bumper and rear light units off, but that is a quick job when you locate all of the screws.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Mar 2022 21:45 #242487 by lightning
l fitted the factory tow bar to my Gen 4 but haven't done the electrics yet.
l was going to use the Jimny to tow our caravan but despite it being well under the 1300kg maximum towing capacity of the Jimny, l've been advised that it wouldn't be a good combination.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds