BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine Sensors and Wading

More
16 Nov 2008 19:08 #252 by kirkynut
Dear All,

How do Jimny engine sensors fare when wading?

What do you all normally do to protect them?

I'm not planing on doing any deep wading as I don't plan to get water in the cab - I don't want to remove my carpets! Just need to know in case it happens unplanned if you know what i mean!

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2008 19:25 #254 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Engine Sensors and Wading
The sensors do have a reputation for failing but this seems to be heat orientated, not water. The systems are poor running/misfiring after warming up which can be "cured" by putting cool water on the cam sensor. The only fix is then to replace it.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Nov 2008 12:23 #258 by kirkynut
Thanks for that Martin,

So is it that the Cam sensor is the most troublesome then?

How do you find the coil packs? - I don't mean where are they but how reliable are they?

Does the vehicle have a crank sensor?, I guess it does and if so is this not more vulnerable to water when wading due to it being lower down, i'm guessing it is not troublesome as you've not mentioned it.

I have only just bought my twin cam engine 2000 "X" reg jimny and have not had time to get under the bonnet and have a good look around yet!

I have a CD service manual from ebay but again have not had time to study it.

I like to know my vehicle's inside out as much as possible to give me the best chance of fixing them myself and if necessary out in the field.

Also, I am under the belief from KAP and by looking at tghe engine that it has a timing chain rather than a belt - is this concurrent with your knowledge of this age non VVT twin cam 16V engine?

Sorry for the million Q's

Kirky

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 Nov 2008 13:23 #263 by mlines
The engine has both Cam and Crank sensors. As I said, I have never heard of them being vulnerable to water and the one that people mention failing is the Cam one, due to heat.

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
17 Nov 2008 13:24 #264 by mlines
And I have not heard of coil pack problems either.

Martin

Martin

More
27 Feb 2009 22:16 #432 by tree fella
after a good steam clean, clean up any suspect contacts, re-assemble then empty a load of sprayable lithium grease over them it repels the water and stops mud & dust sticking. You have to re-apply it when you wash it off but has worked wonders for me

More
27 Feb 2009 22:22 #433 by bazwidajimny
iv had water half way up my doors and engine under water with no problems just spray wd40 evrey wear it be fine :)

More
28 Feb 2009 15:23 #440 by kirkynut
Cheers for that, I've been steering clear of water for the time being as I'm yet to fit axle breathers, although thast might be sorted in the next week or month. It's only a small job I know, but one that is always having items added above it on the TO DO list!!!

We go away to the Lakes in April / May so I'll get some sprayable Lithium Grease before then. I don't think I'll be steam cleaning the engine though as I've heard horror stories about what that can do to electrical components.

Cheers again.

Kirkynut

More
28 Feb 2009 15:23 #441 by kirkynut
Oh, I forgot to ask, how do the door seals stand up to water above the bottom of the doors, do they let much in?

Kirkynut

More
28 Feb 2009 16:15 #444 by bazwidajimny
doors sills are ok mine had a habit of floating had to open the door to let water in to get wheels back on the floor to drive out :laugh:

More
01 Mar 2009 14:22 #449 by kirkynut
Crickey, sounds liek they work well then!!!

I've got an RYA Powerboat certificate from when I was Lifeboat Crew but none of the Lifeboats I drove had wheels and none of them were used on Pay and Play sites or crossing Rivers!!!

Sounds like it could get a little disconcerting but shows how tough our little Jimny's are though, even if they are a little light!!!

Kirkynut

More
02 Mar 2009 00:01 #454 by ooky_123
My Husband took my first jimny swimming on a treck along the "foss way".
He has an RYA Powerboat cert too and says its needed !!.

he did a river crossing, and the rear just floated, no water came in. the weight of the engine, and keeping the vehicle in 4wd and the wheels turning enabled the Jimny to scrabble its way out.

Next time though, it might be an idea to attach a line on the rear to stop it from floating off!.

We didnt have any problems with any engine sensors but this time, my husband is going to get some outboard grease and make sure all the electrics are fully coated just incase.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds