BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re: M13A valve clearances?

• JonnyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2011 12:20 #20110 by JonnyJimny
M13A valve clearances? was created by JonnyJimny
Hi all, My Jimny sounds a touch tappety when i fire it up from cold, and just wondered if the valvle clearance is adjustable, and if so, what are the specs?

Any help is aprecciated. Jon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 06:37 #20266 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
I can't help here however mine also sounds a bit tappety, I don't know whether that is the norm with the M13 engines. Hopefully someone can answer this thread :)

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2011 11:01 - 13 Aug 2011 11:12 #20276 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
Having to do it again 'cause it didn't post how I'd typed it. Stroll on.

M13A

Intake..........Cold.......0.18 - 0.22mm..........Hot.....0.21 - 0.27mm

Exhaust.......Cold.......0.28 - 0.32mm..........Hot.....0.30 - 0.36mm

They are shim & bucket, not the old type screw & locknut.

hth

Keith :)
Last edit: 13 Aug 2011 11:12 by Keefe.

More
20 Oct 2021 18:18 #239543 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
Just started to maintain my daughter's Gen3 M13A Jimmer this year instead of taking to the garage. This year was ok with just basic oil/filter service but next year will probably need to do a bit more.
I think the service schedule suggests every other year for valve clearance check. I can't see time makes a difference to valve wear so probably best do them on mileage? Does 18,000m intervals sound ok? (Even that seems quite a soon for a low revving, low tune engine to me. Are you finding they need adjusting when you check?)
Also - I've done valve checks on motorbikes but never on cars before. Any videos/guides/advice for the M13A engine? I have googled a bit but nothing much jumping out for that engine.
Thanks all.

More
20 Oct 2021 20:34 #239545 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
Can't say I've ever heard of anyone checking them on the M series engines. I have a manual for the G13BB engine that states every 18,000 miles or 24 months, but that has a completely different system. I'd be very surprised if the M series is that often.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2021 03:26 #239547 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
I was under the impression that the valves were a bucket shims design and not prone to excessive wear until very high miles?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Oct 2021 16:43 #239553 by Buzz
Replied by Buzz on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't been in there but I believe it's shim over bucket like you say.

The bikes I've done were also shim and bucket and typically needed checking at 18k miles (but I haven't found any out of adjustment yet) but they're much more highly tuned/stressed engines than the Jimmer so I agree that 18k intervals seems quite soon for the jeep - but that's the only info I've managed to find online for the M series engine.

Just wondered what others are doing . . . . and what they finding if they do check the clearances.

Want to look after the daughters Jimny as it's a really nice late Gen3 model but don't want to be doing more work than is necessary.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Oct 2021 17:39 #239554 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re: M13A valve clearances?
My last one was a 2011 I had from new to 112000 miles and as it wasn't mentioned in the owner service document I left it alone. Primarily because the motor ran like a sewing machine, never used oil, and never registered on the emissions test machine. Basically it wasn't broken so it didn't need fixing. Assuming my current one behaves in the same manner then it too will be left alone.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds