× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Struggling to engage gears

More
12 Sep 2024 18:48 #257516 by Man of Kent
I have a 2005 Gen 3 vvt manual, it is becoming increasingly difficult to engage gears, can anyone point me in the right direction of what the problem might be?
I’m thinking possibly either the clutch cable needs adjusting (clutch pedal needs to be almost on the floor)
Bush on the bottom of gearlever
or something else?
Car only has 89,000 kms from new.

Your thoughts or advice appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2024 22:26 #257518 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Struggling to engage gears
Which gears? All gears or first & reverse whilst stationary? Does it go into the troublesome gears easily if the engine is off?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Man of Kent

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Sep 2024 03:20 #257519 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Struggling to engage gears
2005 is also the first year of the known weak gearbox bearings. Do you know if it's been rebuilt yet?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Sep 2024 04:42 #257520 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Struggling to engage gears
There is also the weak clutch bracket under the dash. When the clutch wire becomes old and hard the bracket give in and crack and bend sometimes.

Mine have not crakcked but I changed my clutch wire.

this mostly happen on older or more milage cars though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
13 Sep 2024 06:32 #257521 by Man of Kent
All gears, whether stationary or on the move.

More
13 Sep 2024 06:36 #257522 by Man of Kent
I don’t think it’s ever been rebuilt and it was main dealer maintained up to when I bought it, it was a one owner car for 17 years, and it has never been off-road. About the only off-roading it does now is driving through orchards, so nothing serious.

More
14 Sep 2024 05:38 #257526 by mlines
All of the above ideas plus check the mount, not just visibly but also try and prise it apart

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Sep 2024 07:55 #257535 by Porthos
Replied by Porthos on topic Struggling to engage gears
My clutch has only done 7.6k and peddle to the floor when changing gears is, I thought standard for the Jimny.

2020 SZ5

More
16 Sep 2024 14:29 #257536 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Struggling to engage gears
Pedal to the floor when changing gears is or should be standard on all vehicles.

More
16 Sep 2024 19:57 #257542 by Darthblaker7474
Maybe the clutch cable has become worn and started seizing in the protective sheath?

This happened to me and it eventually snapped!

More
16 Sep 2024 21:44 #257548 by oldgazzer
Just had my gearbox rebuilt 2007 with 69k on the clock. I wasn't having trouble changing gear but gearbox was noisy and giving off a burnt smell. Turned out it was a noisy bearing that was making the whining noise. New clutch fitted as well as it was silly not to.

More
17 Sep 2024 14:06 #257549 by Porthos
Replied by Porthos on topic Struggling to engage gears
Coming from an auto transmission to the manual Jimny was a bit of a shock at first but once I got used to it, I found the transmission is pin accurate with maybe a little throttle blip now and then to maintain revs when changing up. I'm hoping for a bit of snow this winter to try out the 4x4 and heated seats.

2020 SZ5

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds