BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:LED bulbs for Gen.4 rear lamps.

More
19 Apr 2024 18:48 #255676 by Roger Fairclough
I would like to change the std. rear bulbs for LED options but Martin doesn't list them. Does anybody know of a source?

Cheers

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2024 18:54 #255677 by DrRobin
If you mean the rear lights, brake lights and turn indicators, I think you have to change the whole fitting, no just the bulb. There are quite a few sellers on eBay, ETC, but nearly all of them don't have a fog light which makes them unsuitable for UK roads.

Jimnystyle sell one which does have fog light, but it's £262
streettracklife.com/products/jimnystyle-...or-suzuki-jimny-2018

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Apr 2024 20:27 #255682 by Roger Fairclough
Cheers Robin. The w/shop manual indicates that the bulbs are capless and can be removed, but thanks for the response.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Apr 2024 03:35 #255684 by Lambert
It's because the law says you are not supposed to use led in lamps not designed for them. Though most of the time that is monitored in head lamps more often than tail lamps.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2024 06:08 #255687 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic LED bulbs for Gen.4 rear lamps.
If you do change them despite the regs (LED brake lamps illuminate quicker, which may help safety), bear in mind that many LEDs will cause an error because the car sees lower resistance and assumes a bulb or circuit has failed.  Canbus-friendly ones should work but get a money-back guarantee.

Apart from headlamps, LED replacements aren't currently checked for at MOT time but they do contravene construction and use regs, and could get you a ticket from the police.

More
20 Apr 2024 11:06 #255689 by Bob9863
This place in Australia has them for £34 and they will post to the UK no problem.
ozjimny.com/products/spectr-led-fog-ligh...riant=42291721961697
Much cheaper option, I've got a set coming on Tuesday according to the tracking.

More
20 Apr 2024 12:15 #255690 by mlines
The fog lights are in the BigJimny store

www.bigjimny.com/store/foglamp-led-bulbs

www.bigjimny.com/store/led-foglamp-bulbs-yellow

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
20 Apr 2024 12:16 #255691 by mlines
I also have some standard rear bulbs but haven't listed them as I have not tested them on my Jimny yet

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
20 Apr 2024 15:50 #255698 by Roger Fairclough
I think those options are for the front. The laws regarding the use of LED,s on a car are very confusing but rear bulbs are apparently available. My thoughts on fitting them was a spur of the moment idea and I will investigate further.

Roger

More
20 Apr 2024 17:12 #255699 by Scimike
As someone who has gone down the "spur of the moment" LED replacement many times on various vehicles I can now say without hesitation ----don't bother. Save your money and stick the the filament bulb your light housing was designed for. Whilst all LEDs I fitted initially impressed, they all failed in some way in a short period of time compared to the filament they replaced. 
The only exception is LED replacement light "units" which don't have replaceable illumination. These have worked for me, but if they ever failed are equally expensive as the complete light assembly will need to be changed.
In summary - way too expensive for very little gains.
Of course just my life experience on these things, yours may differ.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogerzilla

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2024 20:40 - 20 Apr 2024 20:42 #255704 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:LED bulbs for Gen.4 rear lamps.
I put some Philips LED stop/tail bulbs in an MX-5 years ago and they were still good when I sold the car last month.  Generally Osram or Philips will last as claimed but they are not usually Canbus-friendly and have no resistors, so no good for a gen3 or gen4 Jimny.  A gen3 Jimny illuminates the ABS warning light if you use the wrong LEDs!

The complete replacement units would only be worth considering with a really long warranty.  Chances are they're of unknown manufacture in China.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2024 20:42 by rogerzilla.

More
21 Apr 2024 09:39 #255711 by Roger Fairclough
As I admitted, it was a spur of the moment issue and on reflection, probably an unnecessary one. The standard lamps are a decent size and although they are not a simple matter for bulb replacement, modern bulb quality being what it is I will stick with what I have got.
Many thanks for the input.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds